1/32 A-1H Skyraider U.S. Navy from Zoukei-mura

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: 1/32 A-1H Skyraider U.S. Navy from Zoukei-mura

Post by Thomas_M »

The large drop tanks having been sanded and primed with Alclad Grey Primer and Microfiller. Awesome stuff, albeit not to be used without wearing a respiratory mask. Remember: humans are delivered with only one set of lungs and replacement lungs are as rare as hen´s teeth...

Also the propeller and the engine mount have been primed:

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

The bombs also got a coat of Alclad Grey Primer.

Bombs and drop tanks have been glued using "Plastic Magic" from Deluxe Materials. This is very hot stuff! I did hold the two parts of a bomb together and applied this thin liquid glue into the gap between the parts using a fine tipped brush. Add some pressure and "move" the parts, this will squeeze a tiny amount of molten plastic out of the gap.
Let dry, than sand. I almost could not find any remaining gaps on the primed pieces later! Wow!

Some paint on other parts.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Engine parts also have been primed with Alclad. I tend to prime all parts before spraying them with Gunze acrylic paints. Get´s the paint some grip and prevents it from running.

These parts have been sprayed with Gunze Barely Grey as given in the assembly manual.

Got some paint on the cockpit parts, only to find out later that I accidentally used a too dark wrong shade of grey (no pun intended). Did repaint later...
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Air brake interior and the main landing gear rims have been primed with Alclad White Primer and Microfiller. I like this stuff and already ordered some Gloss Black Primer for Alclad´s metallic paints!

The inner part of the air brakes have been taken off after priming, these will be airbrushed in red colour later. There will be a small border of the outside colour on the inside of the air brake, running around the red part later.

Don´t get the ones in the tin cans! These are just bulls..., with the paint drying in the screw thread you won´t be able to get those tins open again without using explosives...

Buy the current glass bottles, no more worries!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

The main fuel tank has been primed in grey, too. Later I sprayed it in a colour called "Vulcanized Rubber" from Lifecolor. I have their "Black Rubber Shades" paint set, very useful for me. So far I did not experience any problems spraying these colours on a primed surface.

Main landing gear tyres, being sprayed in "Tyre Black" from Lifecolor. I like this colour a lot, it looks really convincing to me and I also used it on a 1/32 Bf 109 so far. Cool stuff!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Still waiting for Alclad Gloss Black Primer to arrive I used Tamiya Gloss Black instead to airbrush the two cylinder blocks.

These parts now dried for about a week. Today I airbrushed them in Alclad Aluminium. Man, I like those colours!

The push rods for the air brakes got the same treatment, only these have been metallized with Alclad Chrome here. The chrome parts will be masked and the rods sprayed gloss white later.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Just playing around for this part will not be seen on the finished build later. I thought about how to make a demarcation line between the grey part and the two black "whatevers". Took some black decal strip and applied these to the two "whatevers":

Later I brush painted the two you know what with Vallejo black:

I also gave the part a wash of Flory Models and let it dry. Wiped of with a damp tissue. Not bad, but will need some more work. But, well, it will disappear inside the fuselage anyway...
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Inner wing pylons have been primed, some CA glue applied into the gaps and sanded:

The two large drop tanks will get a gloss white colour later. Made a handle to hold them while airbrushing:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I cut of the left part and sprayed it in Alclad Aluminium, to be glued back later. And no: it won´t be seen later. But it was fun doing it!

I airbrushed the turned metal barrels of the Super Wing Options set with Alclad Gunmetal. To hold the parts I drilled four 1.5mm holes into a piece of wood and secured the barrels with a drop of Mascol in the holes. Voilá!

Hope you like my small steps. Will have a walk in the sun now with my lady!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”