Some Allied Armor Rebuilds

Completed works that you have decided to upgrade, repair or otherwise do some re-working
Dragline
Advanced Member

Re: Some Sherman Rebuilds

Post by Dragline »

These look very good Stik. There are so many variants of the Sherman that you could make a career out of simply building those alone. One thing is certain, it got better and better.

That old Tamiya kit sure has whiskers on it and I'm glad they tooled up the M4A3E8 a while back. I have one about 85% built and it is painted Tamiya OD green at the moment with some yellow added for top down painting ti simulate a little wear and sun bleaching. I have to attack the road wheels of seams and that is what kind of halted it for me. I looked into the box and saw all those wheels and said........ oh boy.. But I'll get after it eventually.

I'll use these builds as inspiration.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Bob. You’re so right about Sherman’s. I have built a dozen or so, and no two are quite the same. Still have a lot more to build in my stash.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I second that about Sherman variants. One of my fellow AMPS members built all the Sherman variants there are and ended up with a collection of 63 Shermans! He took Best of Show in the 2007 IPMS Nationals in 2007 with that collection.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

I know this is an older post, but I like the idea. My first Sherman could use a clean up and some new paint. Not too sure How I would go about removing all that enamel dirt. Any ideas?
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tough call there. Enamels are quite hardy and to take them off, once they’re dried and cured, you’ll strip off any base coat, acrylic or lacquer. If they’re fresh, it’s easy to get them off an acrylic or lacquer base coat using paint thinner. But once dried and cured, your best bet may be just to paint over them. It’s easier than stripping them off.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So I’ve recently started rebuilding an old M3 Lee of mine, the Tamiya kit. It is the diesel powered variant, which was only once used in combat by US forces at Makin island in the Central Pacific in November 1943. The Brits & Soviets used them in combat a bit more.

Here is my original build, many years after the fact

stripped of decals and parts added to represent how they were configured at Makin

and now under a fresh coat of Model Master Enamel Olive Drab #8

Next up is to replace the tracks with some T48 type, and get some new markings on there…

FLSM
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Re: Some Allied Armor Rebuilds

Post by Brandons_Iron »

This is looking good. When I can get back to my bench in the next month or two I would like to do this to one of my Shermans and you have motivated me to do just that. Now, just to find the time.
BrandonK

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Brandon. It's fun to rework these older builds into something that is more what they should be. Keep an eye out for updates on here, as there will be more. I look forward to seeing your Sherman rebuild.

FLSM
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

Nice builds Carlos. I would comment more if I knew anything about armor :bag:
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

cbaltrin wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:26 am Nice builds Carlos. I would comment more if I knew anything about armor :bag:
I just dove in one day several years ago and totally love armor now. It's probably my fave subject now. I still love AC, but the stuff you can do with armor and the whole build process for start to finish is more rewarding than AC, and that's saying something. Cars are fun, AC are great and awesome to look at, but there is just something special about armor.
BrandonK

Return to “In The Restoration/Upgrade Bay”