Monogram "nostalgia"...updated with progress pics

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Monogram "nostalgia"...updated with progress pics

Post by Gary Brantley »

Oh, the way things were... No, I'm not about to start a tribute to Barbra Streisand, but I am talking about looking back. Back to those halcyon days when Monogram kits were all the rage (and almost all one could find in some stores) and before the internet and the amazing proliferation of incredible models and fantastic builders. I had not built an old Monogram "classic" kit in years. The last one was my F-84F Thunderstreak. I recall that it went together pretty well. While looking over the stash, I decided that I would try another one, just because I loved the type and I was in the mood for some good ol' nostalgia.

Well, boy, am I getting some!?! Nostalgia that is, and the headaches to go with it. :wink: The kit is the Monogram "Century Series" Convair F-102 in 1/48 of course. Jeez, there are a lot of gaps to deal with on that big-*ssed delta! I plan on doing an Idaho Air Guard bird that was painted all-over silver. If you have built this model before, you're aware of its rather unusual method of assembly. Thus far, I've used DAP Tub n Tile caulk, Bondo spot filler and Mr. Surfacer 500 and I still haven't assembled and attached the two "cheek" intakes. I just know there will be more filling around those. Lost raised panel lines will be replaced post-painting with pencil and vacuum-cleaner belt.

I've checked seams by spraying along them with aluminum paint and have filled them twice now. I wanted to have the canopy poseable either closed or open, but the frame fits very poorly and required much "relief" work to be able to close it over the pilot's seat. I built the jet with the weapons bay closed, thinking that without building the missiles and their complex racks, I could speed up the build. Maybe so, but I've sure spent a lot of time closing up that bay neatly; yep, more poor fitting joints! But, incredibly, the wings to fuselage joint fit just beautifully, needing only a tiny bit of filling. Finally, a break! :lol:

The good news is that once I'm satisfied with the seams, all should proceed quite smoothly. All sub-components are all done (except for masking the canopy) and final assembly shouldn't take too long. Well, normally it wouldn't, but I have an uncanny knack for futzing up even the simplest procedures, so we'll see about that. So, nostalgia isn't what it used to be I guess. :lol: Really, I've had to use some skills and techniques that I haven't employed in a while and that makes me a better modeler and struggling with this kit really makes one appreciate how far modern manufacturers have come. Stay tuned for a final report and some airport pics! :grin:
Last edited by Gary Brantley on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Monogram "nostalgia"...

Post by Duke Maddog »

I agree with your last statements. However, I had built that Delta and her younger sister the Dart and I don't remember a lot of those issues on mine. I guess each kit is different. They were commission builds for a friend. And yes, I built mine with the missile bays open because that is what he wanted.

Later I'll see if I can post pics of them.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking forward to seeing this Deuce of yours Gary. I have two in my stash to tackle sometime in the not too distant future, so I’m gonna pay heed to your speed bumps and build things posed open… :hmm: And I don’t care how much those Monogram kits may fight me, I still love ‘em to death. Like an old girlfriend that you never quite got along with, but can’t put out of your mind ever and swear ‘em off… :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nostalgia? You betcha. I've accumulated quite a few auto kits from my youth thru teen years. I loved the old MPC and Monogram kits - especially the Tom Daniels Design kits.

There is one old Monogram kit I'd love to get again is the 1/48 scale B-52 Stratofortress kit. Others were Revell kits I believe... Budweiser beer wagon with 8 Clydesdales and The General locomotive kits.

I'm always still on the look out for more kits from my early years too. Some are at a premium in prices too.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Duke Maddog wrote:I agree with your last statements. However, I had built that Delta and her younger sister the Dart and I don't remember a lot of those issues on mine. I guess each kit is different. They were commission builds for a friend. And yes, I built mine with the missile bays open because that is what he wanted.

Later I'll see if I can post pics of them.
Perhaps a lot of the issues are self-inflicted in my case? :wink: I have had this kit since the early 1990s I believe so it's probably an early issue. The fit is just not that good. The lower to upper wing joint was huge-that's where the Tub n Tile caulk was used, applied via a small plastic syringe. There are two big gaps that must be dealt with when the two sides of the vertical stabilizer are assembled and the worst offender has been where the forward part of the wing mates with the fuselage sides. Oh, I think it will look okay, eventually...I guess I sort of "cut my teeth" on these Monogram 1/48s and this one isn't my first Monogram "rodeo", nor the last. :lol: Duke, I would love to see some pics of your deltas!
Stikpusher wrote:Looking forward to seeing this Deuce of yours Gary. I have two in my stash to tackle sometime in the not too distant future, so I’m gonna pay heed to your speed bumps and build things posed open… :hmm: And I don’t care how much those Monogram kits may fight me, I still love ‘em to death. Like an old girlfriend that you never quite got along with, but can’t put out of your mind ever and swear ‘em off… :whistle:
I love 'em too! But they do make you work harder for a good result. Or, is it "work smarter"? Little tricks and techniques once frequently used are now kind of dormant and this build has made them awaken a little. Hey Carlos, while we're on the subject; do you know whatever happened to Hans Von Hammer, over at the FSM forums? He dropped out of sight rather suddenly years ago. :hmm:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Nostalgia? You betcha. I've accumulated quite a few auto kits from my youth thru teen years. I loved the old MPC and Monogram kits - especially the Tom Daniels Design kits.

There is one old Monogram kit I'd love to get again is the 1/48 scale B-52 Stratofortress kit. Others were Revell kits I believe... Budweiser beer wagon with 8 Clydesdales and The General locomotive kits.

I'm always still on the look out for more kits from my early years too. Some are at a premium in prices too.
I remember buying an MPC kit of the Ford GT Mk II (in black plastic) while we lived in Australia, '66-'67 and also another couple Ford GT kits from a company called IPC I believe. While down-under, I had the first three types of the Ford GT models, originally GT, Mk II and the Mk IV "J-Car" (which had all clear body panels) but now there are only bits and pieces of each left. Man, that 1/48 B-52 must be a monster! :wow: The last car model I built was the Monogram Type 35 Bugatti, back in 1976 or '77. My daughter Ann took care of that one when she was about two. I did buy that same model kit off Ebay a few years ago with plans to someday take a try at that again! Too many kits, too little time... :wink:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary Brantley wrote:
Hey Carlos, while we're on the subject; do you know whatever happened to Hans Von Hammer, over at the FSM forums? He dropped out of sight rather suddenly years ago. :hmm:

I sure don’t. We communicated a bit back channel over there, but last I recall, he dropped out after one of the forum crackdowns and stayed away for awhile. He came back briefly under a new screen name some time later, because he had forgotten his old password, but he wasn’t his usual self. Then he was gone.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gary - my mistake. It was the old Monogram B-52 Stratofortress in 1/72 scale... not 1/48 scale. This was the kit I built as a kid back in the late 70s:

The other big 1/72 scale Monogram kit I did was the B-36 Peacemaker. I think I got this one for Christmas of '80 or '81.

These kits I would love to build again:

And while we're talking nostalgic kits, but man, oh man.... I would love to collect all of the old Monogram Prehistoric dinosaur/Ice Age mammals/Cave people snap kits again - especially the T-rex kit!!!!! Remember those?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Gary - my mistake. It was the old Monogram B-52 Stratofortress in 1/72 scale... not 1/48 scale. This was the kit I built as a kid back in the late 70s:

And while we're talking nostalgic kits, but man, oh man.... I would love to collect all of the old Monogram Prehistoric dinosaur/Ice Age mammals/Cave people snap kits again - especially the T-rex kit!!!!! Remember those?
Yeah, a 1/48 B-52 would be massive… :hmm: the wingspan alone would be just a tad bit smaller than two B-17s sitting side by side with the wingtips touching… a good bit bigger than the 1/48 Revell B-1 in both span and length… :shocked:

And yes those dinosaur kits were cool. They were originally Aurora releases. I remember between my friend and myself we had most of the series… of course with some double up overlaps… :giggles:

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I can certainly appreciate the nostalgia aspect of a Monogram build. I have taken on two "nostalgia" projects since my return to modeling 10 years ago and can certainly agree with you about ending a Monogram build a better modeler. Lots of work and patience is required but if they're stuck with will yield a good result.
A few years back I built the famed Monogram Dauntless (which I think just about every modeler has built at least once) and then re-built an old Monogram '69 Camaro kit. That Camaro that I re-built was my first ever model build when I was 12 years old. Had ALOT of fun building that as it was the very kit I built 40 years ago.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I have three of th.e B-52s and one 36. They are rather big. Someday I want to attack them. Someday. I remember a B-52 build with dio on FSM. Epic would be a good description. Seems he vfixed every flaw, added the skin wrinkles, all the missing antennas, etc. scratched a hard stand with all the equipment.

I tend to the old Mono-vell stuff due to price and childhood memories.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”