Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Hello all,
I want to do a P51 for a group build on another forum, but I want to use some aftermarket parts to really spruce it up. I found this site with these parts. Has anyone got any experience with these, and what suggestions do you have. Are they any good? Is there a place that I can get cheaper or better parts? Just general things like that. Will this even work in the Revell P51D
Thanks

https://www.megahobby.com/products/p-51 ... aires.html
mustang1989

Re: Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Post by mustang1989 »

Aires does make some seriously good detail sets but you've gotta pay close attention to the fit of things like cockpit sidewalls and other items. The key is....test fit....test fit.....and MORE test fit. And then when you're tired of test fitting......test fit some more.

That set looks like it's for the Hobby Boss kit so it's not likely that it'll fit well in a Revell kit.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Honestly if you want a GREAT P-51D kit go for a Tamiya 1/48 kit. Those things practically put themselves together and there's loads of detail right in the box.
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

While I would love to do a Tamiya 1/48 (and I do plan on it eventually) the purpose of the group build is to redo a kit youve already done, and I chose the p51.
Sad that it isn't made for the Revell one. Is there anything that is?
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

There may be an old Eduard set out there for the Revell P-51D, but I can’t say for sure, I’ve never looked. The Revell D is not bad on its own, just a bit aged and has those out of fashion raised panel lines. If you want to spruce it up, I’d say look for a Yahu instrument panel, or maybe a Quinta Studios 3-D cockpit decal set and leave it at that.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I found an old AMG offering (PN 48003) but it doesn't look like any are available the moment. Will keep looking.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:There may be an old Eduard set out there for the Revell P-51D, but I can’t say for sure, I’ve never looked. The Revell D is not bad on its own, just a bit aged and has those out of fashion raised panel lines. If you want to spruce it up, I’d say look for a Yahu instrument panel, or maybe a Quinta Studios 3-D cockpit decal set and leave it at that.
That's be a good way to go - with maybe some resin wheels and exhausts maybe, and some turned metal gun barrels. I've never had much luck with AM cockpits but if you fancy giving it a go and can find one then I'd be really interested to see how you get on - you might well enjoy it!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

First off: Thanks all for the info, I have decided against the AM cockpit. Seems like too much fuss, and if what is said is true, it may be unnecessary. The Yahu dash looks good, but I am so super confused at Quinta Studios. How on earth do they 3d print decals??? How does one use them?
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Oh man. Those 3d decals are da frickin' BOMB man!!!

There's a guy on here that goes by jkim (John). A phenomenal modeler. The side console panels on this are 3d decals. It's my understanding that they apply like regular decals but you'd have to get with him to find out for sure.

Finished product without the sidewalls of the interior installed:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

In modelling, like anything else, you tend to learn by doing - I still say if you want to have a go with resin then give it a go, but maybe start with something less arduous than a full resin cockpit on your first go - leave that for your second build! :grin:

In my humble opinion (and bare in mind I hate working with PE and Resin), I've never much seen the point of fitting a full resin cockpit to something like a 1/48 WWII fighter anyway, because even with the canopy open chances are you won't see most of it (1/32's a different story however). If you want to lift a cockpit, to my mind you want to concentrate on the visible aspects, so a good IP, seatbelts and a decent paint finish will work wonders.

If you wanted to dip your toe in the resin pool, Ultracast (in Canada) do a really nice P-51D seat with moulded belts. I suspect it's for the Tamiya kit but I'm sure you could make it fit. The Yuhu IP would be good as well, although there are others.

https://www.ultracast.ca/product-p/ult48016.htm

Other than that, I'd look at some drop-in (ish) replacements as you see fit - exhausts, wheels, gun barrels can all be changed - there're company's like Eduard, Quickboost that can supply those. You might also want to wire the radio tray behind the pilots seat if you want to add a bit more detail.

As I said before, post the build up here - it's be great to see how you get on!

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modeling Discussion”