Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Revell P-51 Mustang Aftermarket parts

Post by Stikpusher »

The Revell 1/48 P-51D is a fine kit OOB. The cockpit was cutting edge when released, and still holds up well for its age. External detail is well done, and if you don’t mind raised panel lines, you’re in good shape.
To keep it simple and inexpensive for upgrades I’d make the following suggestions: if you’re not using the pilot figure, replace the kit seat with a resin AM seat that has the molded in harness such as those made by True Details, Quick Boost, or Ultracast; replace the IP with one by Yahu, Eduard Space, or some other 3-D company that are suddenly coming out with all sorts of similar goodies; lastly, if your don’t feel like hollowing out the machine gun bores, get ahold of some metal tubing such as made by Albion, and replace the molded in gun muzzles with matching size tubing.
Why sink many times the cost of the kit into AM accessories? Keep it simple and have fun.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Gary Brantley wrote:
tempestjohnny wrote: They are on backing paper just like decals. But to attach them to the model CA needs to be used
Actually Johnny, Quinta suggests CVA glue, as well. I thinned some Evergreen Canopy Cement and used that to attach the IP on my Bf-109E-7. I imagine some good old Elmers would work as well. :grin:
Sooo canopy glue?
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote: Sooo canopy glue?
yup just looked it up.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Quinta Studios DOES sell a set of 3D Decals for the 1/48 P-51D but it is apparently designed for the Eduard kit. So no idea if it would fit the older Revell kit. But pretty affordable ($9 at Sprue Brothers)

As mentioned by others, I used Quinta Studios 3D decals on my F-14A build and was very impressed by this new product. I would describe them as highly detailed soft vinyl parts that are packaged on decal paper. You remove them from the backing paper with water like a decal but afterwards, you just treat them like a hard part and attach them with glue. I used card glue which is similar to Elmers White Glue. Because they are a soft vinyl material, they are flexible and also easy to cut, which would make it easier to adjust them to fit.

Red Fox Studios and Eduard are two other companies (there may be more by now) that also sell similar products.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For $9 you can’t go wrong…a gorgeous IP, seat harness, sidewalls, plus other fiddle bits…. That’s a good deal.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I must agree. I think when the time comes, that's the way I am going.
Thanks all
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I really want to try them
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall