Ceaser's Movies Talk

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Ceaser's Movies Talk

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I recently re watched "Against the sun", a 2014 film about real events. A crew in a TBD Devastator get lost and crash land in the ocean. They spend almost a month at sea in their life boat before finding land. The crew initially can't get along very well, but learn to accept each other for their mistakes and their strengths. Imagine Cast Away, but with 3 people and on a life raft. And it's much more important as it is a real story.
I really enjoyed the movie, and it is a testament to the pilots and crews of WW2 carriers. The odds of surviving a month without any original source of food or water, and having to figure it out for yourself are astounding.
This in mind, I watched this movie for the first time a few years ago. I tried to get it in for movie night at my Squadron, but no one was interested :sad:
I highly suggest watching this movie. I found it for free on youtube of all places, but I am sure you could find it on Amazon Prime or a DVD somewhere.
(If anyone has a 1/48 or 1/72 TBD Devastator they are willing to sell... pm me)
Anyone seen it?
Last edited by Ceaser_Sa1ad on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Against The Sun-2014

Post by BlackSheep214 »

No, I haven't heard of the movie. I do have a "Sum Bitch Second Class" kit - SB-2C Helldiver though... :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'll have to add that to my watch list. I have the Great Wall kit in the stash and looks like they're are available on ebay for "reasonable" prices. Looks like a nice kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/great-w ... or--131027
Thanks,
John
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Reasonable :quotes:
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I had never heard of this one before… gonna have to look for it to watch. Thanks for the heads up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Good movie! Just watched it.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Oh nice!
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Just finished this one - great film. Thanks for the gouge
Thanks,
John
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

No problem! I figured people here would enjoy it
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Re: Ceaser's Movies Talk

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Well today I saw Saving Private Ryan for the first time...
:shocked:
Wow... To believe that anyone actually LIVED after D-Day is very hard for me. The movie (I think) captures the shear intensity, violence and general horror of the D-Day landings. But not just that, the movie continues to depict brutal scenes of warfare and does a good job of making it seem like people do not matter in war despite the whole movie being about just saving 1 person. I also saw that there is a character in the movie who does nothing to help his team mates and allows 2 of them to die because of his inability to contribute. His fear of the situation is undeniably understandable but nonetheless frustrating to watch.
I think more people need to watch this movie, but have to get more out of it than just the D-Day landing. YES it was a great scene, but the movie has so much more than just that.
I can't say enough about this movie, you will just have to see it yourself if you haven't yet.

Return to “Free Discussion”