Airfix 1/48 Frontline Fighters gift set...

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/48 Frontline Fighters gift set...

Post by Duke Maddog »

Why do you do this to yourself? Because it's FUN!!! :yipee: :yahoo:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Duke Maddog wrote:Why do you do this to yourself? Because it's FUN!!! :yipee: :yahoo:
Yeah - I need to remember that :giggles:
Stikpusher wrote:Why did you do this? Because you like Tornados and wanted more in your collection. :tease:
Lol! Yeah, but why the hell didn't I buy the decent Revel kit?! :headslap:

Anyway - things are starting to progress on the F.3. The fins in place (1/2 mm gap down one side), the tails are together (needs filler), as are the intakes, which, having had such large gaps I glued them together with tube glue, are now filled and just need sanding and painting before fitting - which then require a lot of plastic strip and more filler to blend in...

As I said, I should have brought the Revel kit.

I have actually painted the seats and dipped the canopy in Future - I just need to paint the pilots before I can move this on.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the situation where I asked myself, "Why didn't I just buy the better kit?". To me....I think subject matter plays an important part in our kit selection and the fact that I like a bit of a challenge from time to time. These newer kits seem to pretty much put themselves together where as some of the others offer us a chance to work on and improve our modeling skills. Just my couple of cents.

Looks like you're making your way through this alright there Stuart.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'd agree with all of that Joe - I don't know what it is about them that draws me to these older kits, not when I have some nice Tamiya and other stuff in the stash - perhaps I just like the underdog!

I guess it can't be that bad a kit - I brought four more of them after I'd finished the first one!

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I did the Hasegawa kit. Just sayin'... :whistle:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

the 1/72 one? Yeah I've built that - it's a nice kit. :grin:

jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Looks good so far but I guess you are saying that the intakes are going to be a messy fit? As far as kits go, I will usually aim for the best kit in that scale. But... defining "best" isn't always clear cut. Best fit? Best accuracy? Best detail?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

jkim wrote: But... defining "best" isn't always clear cut. Best fit? Best accuracy? Best detail?
Lol - this kit doesn't fit any of those criteria - it's not even particularly cheap. I just have this 'thing' in my head about building all the late Cold War jets released by Airfix in 1/48.

It's coming along, the tails are on, everything's filled - I've just got to sand down the intakes once the filler is dry. The top fuselage half was slightly bigger than the bottom, leaving a step - I had to shim this as it was throwing out the intakes.

I'm just painting the pilots and I'll fit the canopy properly afterwards.

Cheers!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Sweet! I love the table and wineglass you framed this with. Looks elegant! Keep it coming; from here this is really looking fantastic.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Sweet! I love the table and wineglass you framed this with. Looks elegant! Keep it coming; from here this is really looking fantastic.
:P1:

At first I thought, wow, those are some big steps there where the inlets meet the top of the fuselage... but I guess that they are supposed to be there...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”