British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: British phantom FGR.2 "Firebirds"

Post by KSaarni »

mostrich wrote:An inventory list is a smart thing when the stock is getting unmanageable. I've started an excel list some years ago but I really need to update it.
I use Suisoft KitBase v 1.4, a commercial product I bought a number of years ago. Still using the first version, but there is a newer, more sophisticated on the market.

I also had first everything in Excel, but it had it's limitations, hence buying KitBase

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've looked into the Kitbase, but I can't seem to pull the trigger on $40+
I use Scalemates for my kits decals etc. You can use it for paints also just never did it
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I hardly use scalemates for anything because I didn’t want the hassle of logging on everytime. I do have a small list in there when I first opened an account.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:I hardly use scalemates for anything because I didn’t want the hassle of logging on everytime.
If you’re using a personal computer, tablet, or phone, why log out? Just stay logged in. Scalemates is seriously a great way to keep track of your personal inventory.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A little progress and two steps back... :bored: I have been working on the nozzle areas of this bird. Tamiya Metallic Grey for the darker color, Tamiya Titanium Silver for the lighter silver. A short shot sprayed over it using Testors Non Buffing Aluminum Metallizer to bring it out a bit as opposed to using Silver or Aluminum. Anyhow, this part of the Phantom I have been working on a week prior to our family vacation.
I sprayed the Metallic Grey first, let dry overnight, masked the Metallic Grey for the lighter silver. then a short shot of Aluminum Metallizer. A coat of enamel glosscoat and let cure while I was gone away.

Lunchtime work involved painting the strips on the tail wings. this is where the two steps back came into play. I pulled the tape off as carefully as I can and.... you guessed it, paint came off. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

These will be done later tonight first with the greys, then tomorrow the silver. I knew the Non Buffing Aluminum Metallizer may pull off on tape because they tend to be delicate. So, this is the result....

Topside metallizer didn't pull off but the grey did. Easy fix....

Underside of tail wings is the biggest two steps back.... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: The grey will be done first tonight. The silver tomorrow after another shot of gloss clearcoat.

I think using Testors acrylic primer is the cause of paint pulling off from masking. Never again I will use Testors acrylic primer.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Anytime the tape pulls the paint off sucks. The colors you went with look good for the area. Might try Alclad if they lift again.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Sorry about the paint trouble, Tom. The proper name for those control surfaces is stabilator. Combination of elevator and horizontal stabilizer.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Close enough... :bored: :giggles:

jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Close enough... :bored: :giggles:
:grin: :whip:
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The thingamajig on the doohickey on that side had something funny happen over there near that other gadget… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”