1/32 HK B-25J 345th Bomber Group "Apache Princess"

Post your completed aircraft here.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/32 HK B-25J 345th Bomber Group "Apache Princess"

Post by lawdog114 »

Hello, I figured I'd share the monstrosity that had consumed my life a few months ago. Against my better judgement, I took on the task of building the HK 1/32 B-25 J. It's in the markings of "Apache Princess" from the 345th BG. My research revealed it was shot down by AA fire while trying to bomb an airfield and railyard on Formosa in May of 1945. The flight engineer was KIA, and the remainder of the crew were POW'd.

I agreed to build this because the wings were supposedly designed to come off, making shipping/storage manageable. Well I couldn't get them back off so I had to pack this beefcake as is. What a nightmare. Anyways, the guy I built it for supplied some extras, which included Master gun barrels, Brassin resin wheels, and the decals, which were made by Zotz. I added PE seat belts I had in the stash. Main stars and bars were painted on with Montex masks. The paint was AK Real Colors with alternating shades of OD 41 and faded OD. I was happy with the effect. This would have been a serious tail dragger, so I added 200 grams of Crossman BB's to the nose. This was my first attempt at the chipping technique using liquid frisket on the cowl. I was pleased with the effect and use it often now.

A few in progress pics.

Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 HK B-25J 345th Bomber Group "Apache Princess"

Post by tempestjohnny »

Gorgeous, and the model is not bad either :whistle: Those master barrels are great
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is incredible! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh my! :wub: A 1/32 Mitchell!!! Boy that’s a lot of weight in the nose! I do hope that the build has some metal landing gear struts to support all that weight. On a technical note, it’s very good to see that you used the correct accurate color for the interior. :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Wow, sweet! Looks great!
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Very nice work indeed! :shoutout: Man, I would've liked to have the ammo concession on that one! :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary Brantley wrote:Very nice work indeed! :shoutout: Man, I would've liked to have the ammo concession on that one! :grin:
All the .50 is HEEEEEEAAAAAVVVVVYYY…. I remember feeding a single Ma Duece on a track once upon a time. Each one of those cans weighed a good bit! :shocked:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Incredible build!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The postage must have been fierce! Beautiful modeling.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

She's a beauty! Nose art is great. That's a lot of BBs!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.

Return to “Completed Builds”