AMT 1/48 Grumman F7F-2N Tigercat "Big Bird"

Post your completed aircraft here.
mustang1989

Re: AMT 1/48 Grumman F7F-2N Tigercat "Big Bird"

Post by mustang1989 »

That really is a good looking build Gary. I really like those forced perspective shots. I'd really like to try something like that one day. Awesome photography.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote:The photos are always a treat. It is special to have a place you can go like that. Nothing like that around here anymore. Oh well.

I did manage to get enough weight in the nose, but barely. I also melted one side of the nose and had to repair that.
Thanks my friend! It is special, and I hope that doesn't change, but in today's "climate", one just never knows. Installing the locked gate there is a bit ominous, but hey, I do have the code! For now. :wink:

Melted the nose? Uh oh... :wink:
mustang1989 wrote:That really is a good looking build Gary. I really like those forced perspective shots. I'd really like to try something like that one day. Awesome photography.
Thanks Joe! :grin: I'm happy to hear that you like her. It's easy setting up for the pics. All you need is a table and a tripod for your camera and you're on your way! :wink:

I have greatly benefited from some advice and suggestions from my closest friend. He is a professional photographer in Dallas, and he helped me with my depth of field issues I had been having in previous photos. I tried his suggestions of course, and the difference is stunning. You can see it in these pics too; I did some as I had before just to have a direct comparison when finished. Note how the far background in some photos is just as focused as the near subject, while others are much more blurry. Yep, his technique does result in a more realistic photo; more as our own eyes actually see them! :grin:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is one beautiful bird Gary! I commend you on getting such an incredibly smooth and shiny coat of yellow! I could never do that well on mine.
KSaarni wrote:Gary, that is a heck of a build of a true beauty !
Again, combined with excellent pictures!

I wonder if anyone ever has succeeded to squeeze enough of weights in the Tigercat, so it has not been a tail sitter ? :hmm:

- Kari
Actually, I did on my 1/72 scale Tigercat... and I didn't melt the nose to do it either! :giggles:

Gary, I'd love to know how to improve the depth of field myself; I have pics of my collection of armor that are focused on the front models but blurry on all the ones in back. I would love to be able to get sharp pics of the entire collection the next time I get it set up.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks Duke! Glad you liked my model! I appreciate the kind words too. She isn't all that smooth in her extreme close ups, but maybe that's typical of those aging feline starlets. :lol:

I sent a PM regarding the photo work. :grin:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Gary! I just went to open my messages....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

As always,Gary, your forced perspective pics are on the mark. I have a question though. Are those aftermarket props? That kit has always had those screwy props that looked as if some one twisted them at the root in order to get them to face the right way. Stellar build.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks for those words Paul! Those props are from two old Monogram kits, an Avenger and a Hellcat that I would never get around to building. I read a suggestion somewhere online that those props were a good substitute for the mis-shaped kit props. On wag said those would cause the plane to fly backwards if real! I got lucky having those two old kits in the deep stash; I knew there was a good reason for buying those all the many years ago. :wink:

Thanks again Paul! :bow:

Return to “Completed Builds”