1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.V 303 Polish Squadron "Zumbach"

Post your completed aircraft here.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.V 303 Polish Squadron "Zumbach"

Post by lawdog114 »

I'm still on a Spitfire kick at the moment. I do that sometimes. Over the last year or so I've done the new tooled Tamiya Mk. I and Eduard's new Mk.IIa Spitfire which I enjoyed to the fullest. I was perusing my stash recently and saw the old Hasegawa MK. V in there I got for a song off ebay about a decade ago. I realized I've never actually built one as I've always gravitated towards Tamiya's 90's era shake and bake Spitfire kits. I decided to give it a shot to compare to the others right out of the box.
I decided on Jan Zumbach's 303 Polish Squadron machine from May of 1942. Zumbach was a Polish pilot fighting with the RAF and has the distinction of being the first allied flier to damage the new FW 190 in combat. He finished the war with 12 kills, to include 8 during the Battle of Britain.
The Hasegawa kit certainly shows it's age (late 80's or early 90's I believe), that being quite basic in overall detail. The cockpit is also very basic compared to the others and you would have to cut out the pilot door to display it open. I had no construction issues, but I did attach the upper wings to the wing roots first to avoid gap issues notorious with old Hasegawa kits. I noted that the panel lines are quite petite as well and I was worried they wouldn't take a wash. I made the best of it by adding PE seatbelts and a set of resin 20 mm cannons I had in the stash. I used a mix of Tamiya paints for the scheme and the markings were painted on using spare Montex masks. The decals for Zumbach's machine were let over from Tamiya's Mk. V kit I built several years ago. They surprisingly performed great.

Overall, I was happy with the finished product. Surprise, it looks like a Spitfire. That said, it's doesn't quite compare to the newer ones. This one would need about 5 hours with a riveting tool, and a resin pit to even get close. It would just be easier to by the Eduard Mk.V kit. We certainly are spoiled now......

So of course Eduard's Mk. VIII is next. Bobby Gibbe's Grey Nurse.

I was going for beat up and dirty with this one as evidenced by this photo. It would seem Zumbach made good use out of this machine. (note the heavy chipping). I think I got it close.
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.V 303 Polish Squadron "Zumbach

Post by tempestjohnny »

Excellent of course. I built this exact kit eons ago. I know it isn't the newest but like you said builds up quite nicely. I think I have another in the stash, plus the Tamiya I, Airfix XIV, Airfix XII, Hmm I think I need to build a Spitfire
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

My goodness, that is gorgeous! The finish, weathering, all looks to be spot on! That, and Spitfires are such great subjects.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

She sure looks like she’s seen better days.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very nice. I want to do a spit in that camo. Was that early war and they changed?
Thanks,
John
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Just beautiful
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That maybe an “older” kit but that finish is great. And as the pictures show very appropriate. :P1:
ImageImageImageImageImage
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

I can't wait to see you get the Grey Nurse done. Another iconic Spitfire she was.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

More magnificent work man! Looks like you nailed this one perfectly!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Absolutely perfect!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Completed Builds”