Pz.Kpfw .II Ausf. F, Pz. Rgt. 25, 7 Pz. Div., 1940-41.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
speedgraflex

Re: Pz.Kpfw .II Ausf. F, Pz. Rgt. 25, 7 Pz. Div., 1940-41.

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Nice work on the lower hull closing up all of the motorization holes Bruce. Once it’s all painted up, it’ll look great!
Carlos, I cannot thank you enough. This was the right kit for the moment in my life, truly. I can work on it for twenty minutes and take the edge off of living and not deep dive down some rabbit hole of accuracy and customization. Once again, sincere thanks for your advice.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Those will look great once closed up - I seem to remember I closed mine up with scrap plasticard inside the hull, and then filled over the top. Now matter how you do it it's a fix worth doing though - really improves the overall look.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote: Mark! You are too kind. When is this month’s Hobby Day? I’m hoping it’s the second weekend, so I can bring this and you can give me pointers.
That would be August 13th and 14th. I'm hoping to get there and finish off a few models that I can take to Vegas on the 16th.

Beautiful job on the filling. You did excellent!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart wrote:Those will look great once closed up - I seem to remember I closed mine up with scrap plasticard inside the hull, and then filled over the top. Now matter how you do it it's a fix worth doing though - really improves the overall look.
I remembered your project—the same kit. I just looked back through the completed builds section to find it, and I did. It’s great to see multiple interpretations of the same kit. In your case, looks to me like your brushwork is simply stand out work, with a degree of color modulation and control that is enviable at any scale. I remember asking for more dust, but what did I know, really? I’m going to try that out here, for sure. I even brought out the oils to do washes, subtle but present operational effects.

To answer directly, I really appreciate that you are following along and thank you for your comments. I always think through every comment (I call this “sifting”) for nuggets of gold. There are always more than a few in what you write. Thanks again.

Off topic, yes, get started on Facebook. It is a simple matter to set up a professional site. Ask Kari, perhaps.
Duke Maddog wrote:
speedgraflex wrote: Mark! You are too kind. When is this month’s Hobby Day? I’m hoping it’s the second weekend, so I can bring this and you can give me pointers.
That would be August 13th and 14th. I'm hoping to get there and finish off a few models that I can take to Vegas on the 16th.

Beautiful job on the filling. You did excellent!
Mark! Thank you!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, personally I would not quibble over such a minor degree of difference between he two grays. Yours looks as it should.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:that:

This is what I like to instill in your builds. This is such an easy, simple kit to do. Honestly, it’s not worth it to micro-anal over which shade of grey is correct and whatnot. Either way, a shot of lighter grey color will bring it out just as I’ve done to mine.

As far as weathering goes, simply dirty it up brushing a chalk mixture of medium grey, black with a little bit of light grey and a drop of Dawn dish soap and let dry. Once you see the outcome, I think you’ll be happy. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with a little bit of rust thrown in the mix. Keep it simple because a little goes a long way.

Let’s see this little Panzer build done. Have a little fun with it. :lashed:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Bruce, personally I would not quibble over such a minor degree of difference between he two grays. Yours looks as it should.
Thanks so much!
BlackSheep214 wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:Bruce, personally I would not quibble over such a minor degree of difference between he two grays. Yours looks as it should.

:that:

This is what I like to instill in your builds. This is such an easy, simple kit to do. Honestly, it’s not worth it to micro-anal over which shade of grey is correct and whatnot. Either way, a shot of lighter grey color will bring it out just as I’ve done to mine.

As far as weathering goes, simply dirty it up brushing a chalk mixture of medium grey, black with a little bit of light grey and a drop of Dawn dish soap and let dry. Once you see the outcome, I think you’ll be happy. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with a little bit of rust thrown in the mix. Keep it simple because a little goes a long way.

Let’s see this little Panzer build done. Have a little fun with it. :lashed:
Thanks, Tom!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote: I remembered your project—the same kit. I just looked back through the completed builds section to find it, and I did. It’s great to see multiple interpretations of the same kit. In your case, looks to me like your brushwork is simply stand out work, with a degree of color modulation and control that is enviable at any scale. I remember asking for more dust, but what did I know, really? I’m going to try that out here, for sure. I even brought out the oils to do washes, subtle but present operational effects.
Thanks Bruce - I was quite pleased with the brushwork on that one.

:hmm: I seem to recall adding more dust at your suggestion actually - it was a good call, as was Stik's suggestion on adding more matt coat over the decals to flatten them out more. What I don't think I did was update the photos. I do like your addition of the metal barrel - I wish I'd done that.

I'm looking forward to see where you go with the weathering on this one - dust and oils should be a great combination. As the others have said I wouldn't worry too much about the grey - for my money you've nailed it and although not being an armour guy myself, from what I've read the base colour always changes under the weathering etc. anyway.

What's your plan for the tracks?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

If there are AM tracks, it's a big improvement to the vinyl tracks the kit came with. That's one thing I wished I had done. Hated those vinyl tracks when trying to connect them by melting the tabs.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart. I would like to see how you finished things very much. Are you still on holiday? Maybe when you return from Northumberland you will have a moment to post the final shots.

Thanks, Tom. Basically my improvements are to the origins of the kit as a motorized toy. I will most likely cut off the locking tabs top to bottom and turret to deck as I don’t need to access areas where batteries and a motor would be housed.

I have also changed out the metal drive rod located at the rear axle with a brass piece. The problem was once these old molded pieces are assembled they tend to bend inward under a degree of tension. Tension, my father would say, is never welcome when building a model. Whether these issues matter to anyone else building the kit, they matter to me in much the same degree as removal of flashing, and I will continue to finesse the kit as necessary.

The word is “refinement,” for me in all things.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”