Aurora 1/25 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
speedgraflex

Aurora 1/25 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Post by speedgraflex »

As a companion to the Ann Darrow sculpt, I am adding Kong’s head in resin to the old Aurora body. Despite the kit’s challenges I am moving at high speed for me at least through the construction. Still, filling the gaps in the seams must be the most difficult task I have done to date.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Aurora 1/30 King Kong (1933) Resin Upgrade: Kong’s Head

Post by Stikpusher »

Do t worry Bruce. I’m sure that you’ve got this :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, sir! I believe I have things well in hand from the front, but it is the back side which tasks me.

What a seam! What a horrible, horrible seam! To try to fill it, both in the depression of its cavity, but in the sheer openness of its gap, makes life difficult. The poor fellow’s rear end is one massive swipe of putty to keep his legs from falling off.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yikes on those seams! But it looks like you’re doing good at texturing the filler putty. Keep up the fire Bruce! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Yikes on those seams! But it looks like you’re doing good at texturing the filler putty. Keep up the fire Bruce! :shoutout:
Thanks, Carlos! At least things are holding together. I added some big bolts as weight inside the vertical leg to better hold the figure upright.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

I cannot even in my wildest fantasy "see" anyone else than Bruce coming up with this really special, exciting, unique and sometimes sort of odd projects (like this)

Amazing!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Kari! Thank you. You are too kind! I’m enjoying this foray into monster model making very much, although these seams are too much, too much!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

"How tall was King Kong?"

"Three foot six and that's how tall you're gonna be if you don't pay me my money!"

--"The Stunt Man".

Always loved that movie!

Bruce you are doing a sensational job despite the issues. Your blending of the fur looks exceptional and will make the whole seam disappear under paint. Having done similar work on my Headless Horseman, I know what you're going through. Looking forward to seeing more!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Haha! Thanks, Duke! This fella posted on the Aurora Forum to school me on how it’s done, lol. My goal is to hit close. I don’t know if I can disappear these seams without much, much, much more work, but we shall see.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ya know… all this hairy giant ape butt is kinda scary… :hmm:

:whistle:

:tease:

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”