1/43 Millennium Falcon (DeAgostini)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
James H

1/43 Millennium Falcon (DeAgostini)

Post by James H »

Work begins!

It was discovered pretty early on that DeAgostini screwed up the cockpit cone and as a result, they put a replacement into a later issue. Here you see the original cone, dry fit to the corridor tube. As I also don't plan to build this as per instructions, the lower metal frame will be built first. Once I'm happy with that, and there have been some parts misshapen, then I will add the external cladding. From here I then intend to undo each screw and add a little thread-lock adhesive into there so nothing comes loose later in assembly.

At this stage I have both upper and lower hull plates complete and plated. Some slackening of the framing was needed to allow the hull plates to sit flush to each other. Once complete, the screws were secured with thread-lock to stop them coming loose inside this behemoth of a model. Here you see the frame assembly, ramp installation and the section that sits between the mandibles. I'll try to get a photo of the complete hull dishes real soon. I tell you, this model is seriously amazing. So pleased I decided to fork out the cash for it.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/43 Millennium Falcon (DeAgostini)

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Judging the size of the cockpit, that kit has to be close to 4 feet in diameter when complete. I remember building the MPC Millennium Falcon kit back in the late 70s early 80s. Even that one was big.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

That is a huge Falcon! Those DeAgostini kits often look impressive but the total costs are often very high. This has held me back in buying such a subscription.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

HOLEE BUJESUS!!!! Where in the world are you going to display that bad boy at?? Man I am all over this build!!! Outstanding!!!
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

That is a massive undertaking both in size and scope.
James H

Post by James H »

It is DAMNED expensive, absolutely correct!

My rationale was that the Master Replicas kit (done in association with the same guy, and the same size) now sells for over $10,000, if you can find it! The guys had access to the filming model to do this kit.

Getting it monthly does lessen the bitter pill of cost, so I waited two years until I had all the issues.

When complete, this is going in a coffee table in the living room. Here is a rough concept of the plan....but without those long legs!

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh yeah.... I like that set up!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

The trouble with those deAgostini stuff is that the advertising not always matches what you get in the end, about two years later. I remember a certain 1/16 scale Stuka somewhere in my stash...

Also, the added price tag of the magazines and parts one has to collect over the time is not to be underestimated.

Had a close look at their 1/16 scale Panther G tank, recently advertised here in Germany. What a laugh! Silly, non-scale screws and "detail" for a more than hefty price. One could get two Tamyia Panther kits, RC and bells and whistles, for the same money that is asked for deAgostini's "kit".

Did I learn my lesson? For sure! Hope your Falcon will be so much better!
James H

Post by James H »

Where did you get to on the Stuka?

Here is a mandible to show you some detail.

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Reminds me on a pretty young girl: so tempting but so expensive.

I like the idea to integrate it in a furniture. You already told your wife? :peace:

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”