Hasegawa "Operation Omega" 1/48 Patrol Hopper.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Hasegawa "Operation Omega" 1/48 Patrol Hopper.

Post by speedgraflex »

• OPERATION OMEGA

Designed with a very unique concept, OPERATION OMEGA is a totally new type of model kit. A 1/144 scale authentic replica of the NASA Space Shuttle transforms into a 1/48 scale space vehicle, "Patrol Hopper," through a thrilling process of disassembling and reassembling.

DATA

1/144 and 1/48 scale kit by Hasegawa
    released by Monogram as part of the "Young Astronauts Series"
    sprues: 7 / parts 127 / 6mm, 10mm, 16mm screw-bolts, tapping screw and spring
    decals and stickers for space shuttle and patrol hopper kits
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Hasegawa "Operation Omega" 1/48 Patrol Hopper.

Post by KSaarni »

Oh my!

This looks interesting indeed, to use the Shuttle as main piece of construction.. Quite well integrated also..

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Now that is...

...strange?! :lol:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ooooo… cool kit!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, Kari, Torben and Tom, for your replies. I found this kit for a short science fiction project with the following parameters: Eighties aesthetics, based on the space shuttles and to function as a recovery vehicle. Originally I thought I might have to adapt a space shuttle from “Armageddon,” but this kit will work much better. I am considering giving the ship a colorful, accented paint job—

The provenance of the kit I am building is interesting, too. This model was originally owned by Frank Winspur of Moebius Models, a premiere maker/distributor of “Battlestar Galactica,” and “2001: ASO” Models. The sprues are still bagged and the overall condition (box, plastic, decals) is excellent. Mention is made of “stickers” to use as instrument panels. Once I find those, let’s see if those are the best solution for the cockpit interior.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I love the kit, and I’m really loving the painting concepts for this project. :hmm: Definitely not more of the same ole, same ole...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is going to be exciting to watch! I love it! Bruce, you constantly surprise and amaze me. I can't wait to see more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a very cool looking project Bruce - I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you so much, Carlos, Mark and Stuart; sincerely, thank you for being supportive. It was a long and stressful day, so to come home and read your messages was a real cool, relaxing moment, and I find I have to respect the quiet moments, like we all do when we spend time building. I was fortunate to find this kit through the knowledge of how you support the integrity of vintage kits by Revell/Monogram and vintage games. This thanks applies most evenly and equally to the three of you, as you have each championed what is learned by building a foundation first, having fun with the hobby second and always, and third by being most generous with your own approaches. I do want to take photographs of these sprues but the molding plastic is for the most part white, which will negate my white seamless and send me hunting for alternate ideas. We shall see. Also I had to temporarily wrap up the Bulldog right when things were starting to roll, but I will keep both kits out even though one box will be closed. Sigh. I am excited to be building a spaceship!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

SPACESHIP!!!!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”