Bandai 1/144 X Wing

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Bandai 1/144 X Wing

Post by Scruffy »

Howdy! Its been a while I know, but Lyle was kind enough to reach out the other day and entice me to come out of my shell. Since the beginning of the Corona Virus I have sort of disengaged from a lot of interactions for various reasons, mainly because I cannot escape from being around other people, so at the end of the day I just want to come home, lock the door, and try to relax. We also care for my mother who has Alzheimer's , and that is rather time consuming and stressful as well. But enough of all that crap! I have been checking into the site as I get a chance and Lyle caught me the other day and emailed me and encouraged me to say "hi", even if I didn't post any modeling stuff, but I didn.t that would be fair, so here is the little bit of plastic I am messing with.

This is the Bandai 1/144th X Wing that comes boxed with the 1/72 Red Squadron X Wing kit. I started building it because I figured if I built the 1/72 one, I would have no interest in this one, so I will built it first. It is a pretty decent little kit and well detailed. It only took about an hour to get it ready for paint.

Anyway, it will be fun to play around with and see if I can't keep from screwing it up too badly :headslap: As I told Lyle, my spare time right now is very inconsistent, so I might not be able to update this for a few days :bored:
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Bandai 1/144 X Wing

Post by Floki »

Them Bandai kits are really nice! Didn't know they made them in such small scale too.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

It might be 1/144 but it looks much better then the old 1/48 AMT kit.
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ernie! What a treat. That looks awesome, even in tinier-than-Braille-scale! Nice work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice!! I've built a few of the Bandai Star Wars kits and their awesome!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Welcome back Scruffy, it’s great to see you here again! Your story of how life is going now is very relatable to many here. An occasional escape with a model is not a bad idea. And those Bandai Star Wars kits are the perfect remedy. Simple, well detailed and fun little kits to build. Yours is coming along great. I know that I’m not the only one here looking forward to seeing this all finished.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good Ernie and I can relate about all this coronavirus crap! It does feel nice to get away and build something now and then. Take the time you need, we'll still be here for you.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Welcome back!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Watching this one for sure. I love all things Star Wars and that little bugger has got to be the cutest X-Wing ever.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Post by Scruffy »

Time for a quick update........Did some detail painting to the engines and R2 unit before hitting everything with a coat of clear to get ready for the details and more weathering.

I played around with the engines a bit; I wanted to give then a metallic look so used AK True Metal metallic paste thinned with White Spirit to put a wash on the engines directly over the light grey base color. I was quite happy as I got a metallic sheen without making them look like they were actually painted in a metalizer type pant. In this case I used a wash of steel. I also used straight steel to color the cuffs at the base of the exhaust nozzles. The nozzles themselves were painted with Model Master meatlizer Burnt Iron I think it was. Not quite the color I was looking for, but I will try to fix that later. I added a light wash of copper as well to a couple of areas just for fun and giggles.

I also used the AK True Colors on the R2 unit as well.

So, I was pretty happy with how the AK True Metal stuff worked, as I had only really used it one time before, I got some more to play around with.

It will be fun to see how these work out, and if I can get them to do what I envision.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”