Vietnam War Era

Organize a group build and see who is wanting to participate here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: Vietnam War Era

Post by jeaton01 »

Pretty high odds it's an F-4C or D unless he was with a recce unit or it was very late in the war.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Dragline wrote:I saw that Revell kit at Hobby Lobby before. It's a Biggun. Might be a tad too big. Tamiya is almost always a winner, so I may check out their smaller scale offering.

As for version? I'll have to ask Uncle Steve what fighter wing he was with. I'll build up something he was associated with.

Thanks guys...
Tamiya doesn’t make any 1/48 Phantoms, only 1/32. In 1/48 for an E, your best kits are ZM or Hasegawa. And for the C/D versions are Z/M, Hasegawa, and Academy are the latest and greatest.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Thanks for al the info guys. Uncle Steve says they were D's. He's checking his pix to see what he has. He knows he shot a lot of pix of the aircraft he worked on so I'll be able to get pix of exactly what he worked on and can do a build with correct markings.

This place is great and I thank you for dropping the knowledge. I may go with the Hasegawa as it is very detailed and isn't too big. It is a big aircraft any way you slice it.

Edit: And post war Steve was stationed in Minot ND. This is where he spent 2 years post war until he was re-assigned to Peas in New Hampshire. He retired in 1986 as a station chief [or something like that]. He is still in good health at 77 and lives in New Rochelle NY. We plan on visiting soon since this entire thing sparked a "When's the last time were saw each other" conversation. So for that I thank you all as well.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

If it's a "D", I'd go with the ZM or Academy kit. Much easier to build and they're state of the art kits. The Hasegawa kits are little over engineered.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I am looking forward to seeing your Phantom started Bob! This should be great!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I'm thinking of doing my 1/48 Hasegawa F-4E as Chico. Got all the underwing goodies on order. Bummer is my kit is not the hardwing so I'll have work to do if/when we start. I did find out that the 1/48 pro modeler f-4e is a reboxing of the early hardwing hasegawa kit.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-sto ... etnam-war/

Other decal option is Ritchie/DeBellevue.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I'm in. Down to two choices. Both 72nd

Academy A-37B Dragonfly
Academy OV-10A Bronco
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This one is coming up and running from April 1, 2021 until 12/31/2021....April Fools Day until New Years Eve. What could possibly go wrong.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Any new post should go to the Member Group Build section. Please, and thank you.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Group Build Feeler”