Review Build - Revell P-51B Mustang 1/32

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
mostrich
Admin

Review Build - Revell P-51B Mustang 1/32

Post by mostrich »

This is the review build of a P-51B Mustang kit in 1/32 scale by courtesy of Revell, USA.
Our skilled member BlackSheep214 will do his magic on this new boxing of Revell's classic kit from 1969:

'Berlin Express', kit no. 85-5535
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Re: Review Build - Revell P-51B Mustang 1/32

Post by CallSignOWL »

Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

So, I just recently ordered this kit. Is this a re-box of the old Revell 1/32 P-51B, or is it new tool? I picked it up on the cheap on Ebay and couldnt find much information on it.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you to mostrich for opening this thread for me. As you know I volunteered to do this kit and I am excited to do get started on it. When I came home from work Friday, I was happy to see the package Lyle sent me arrive on my doorstep.

So without further ado, let's take a look see:

Upon opening the box:

Everything is packaged pretty well. Clear parts in its own separate bag. Decal sheet and instruction guide on bottom of box.

The instruction guide and decal sheet:

The decal sheet gives you marking options; 'The Berlin Express' flown by 1st Lt. William Overstreet 363rd FS/357th FG and 'Miss Lace' flown by Lt. Donald McKibben 486th FS/353nd FG

Let's take a look at the sprues...

Clear parts:

Rather than a typical one piece canopy, there are 6 parts for the canopy alone. You have the option to assemble it in either open or closed positions.

The kit is molded in light grey with hardly any flash issues which is a huge plus!. Panel lines and details looks awesome. Too light for me to actually take a close up shot at the time since they were taken outdoors around the 7:30 - 8 p.m. hour. I will post them at a later time before the build takes place.

The sprues:

Left fuselage, engine parts, tail wings, instrument panels, cockpit floor & side pieces, etc...

Right fuselage, wheel parts, landing gear and gear doors, fuselage engine hood, 2 piece pilot halves, etc...

Typical old detailing of pilot. Nothing to write home about.

Upper surface of wings

Bottom half wings and propeller

To give you an idea of how big the wingspan on this kit, I compared it to my 1/48 scale P-51 Mustang kit:

I noticed the kit didn't include any under wing ports/points for drop tanks or bombs. This really surprised me that Revell dropped the ball on this oversight.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Just posted the link to your build on SPAModeler´s Facebook page to spread the word! :tongue:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Cool! I don't have a FB account nor planned on opening one any time soon. Ive heard enough meaningless/stupid/crazy stuff folks post on FB enough to not open one. :headbang:

I wonder how many likes it got so far though. LOL!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! You're not wasting any time here! And yes, looking at the sprue shots, that is indeed the classic Revell kit from way back when.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mostrich, thank you for opening a thread. Been offline a few days. I promise to do better. Can't wait to see more.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Are the panel lines recessed or raised? :hmm:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”