Review Build - Revell 1/32 Phantom Mustang

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
LyleW
Admin

Review Build - Revell 1/32 Phantom Mustang

Post by LyleW »

Soon, our very own Frog Boy will take on this oldie, but goodie. Many thanks Revell for the sample kits.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Re: Review Build - Revell 1/32 Phantom Mustang

Post by CallSignOWL »

What what what what???
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

CallSignOWL wrote:What what what what???

You can see the excitement building! It is haning in the air around SPAM's unofficial, non-geographic, who-knew U.S hindquarters. Sort of like monkey puke after a jungle all nighter.

Ms. Owl, my appologies if I overlooked your interest.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

LyleW wrote:
Naj, m just excited to see it built
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

CallSignOWL wrote:
LyleW wrote:
Naj, m just excited to see it built
Me, too! Love it when the bombs drop and you yell, "Boom!"
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Yes! Your very own Kermit will build another review kit. This time it will be Revell's P-51D "Phantom Mustang" in 1:32 scale. I am delighted to be allowed to do another review and i am sure i will have heaps of fun building this oldie but goodie.

The mustang is such a well known and documented aircraft that going through the background is pretty pointless. EVERYBODY knows the sory. It's that famous. So no i won't bore you with history and trivia. Instead let's just dive right in shall we?

First Look:

The kit came in the mail earlier today and just now i have had a chance to take a quick peek at the plastic:

Inside is a mulitude of differently colored sprues:

Along with a rather thick and extensive instruction booklet comes a sheet of rather generic looking decals:

Like the box has been telling you: this model will have several motorised functions such as bombs dropping at the touch of a button and a landing gear that will lower. Kinda neat and something i have never done myself! The first steps in the instructions will have you set up the pedestal on which the kit sits, also acting as the housing for all the motorised controls.

I have yet to make up my mind about it but most likely i will attempt to paint this model partially, exposing some of it's internal structure and thus utilising the clear plastic. It also will likely obscure nasty seams where the clear parts have been glued together. This, by far is the most daunting aspect of this kit in my mind. I.e.: How to assemble and display an attractive looking model without having too much of the seamwork exposed.

So, i already seem to have Miss Owl onboard.... hope all the rest of you will like and follow my build too in the coming weeks!
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Post by AIRFIXER »

I feel myself getting sucked back into the year 1961...
Can we have this review in black and white? :giggles:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I actually have a '61 issue of the kit. Paid way too much for it. This is a new issue, not a new mold as i understand it. Should be a fun build to watch. As for the seams, it may be mitigated by "futuring" the area and then using a bit of CA or Extra Thin.
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

Thanks for the tip Lyle! Well, as far as i can tell from looking around the web is that this kit is unchanged from it's original mold. This kit has been around before i was even born
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Loved the original 1961 boxing of this kit. Each color was showcased under a cardboard insert.. One good thing this has done is bring some sanity back to the prices of all the releases. I am a bit ashamed to say that I paid about $100 for the 1961 version I have. Seems silly now.

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”