Review Build - Revell 1/32 Phantom Mustang

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Review Build - Revell 1/32 Phantom Mustang

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I saw this model kit at my LHS just last week. Opened the box and showed exactly what Kermit saw. Multi-color sprues, clear parts, wirings, motor, etc... Definitely looks like a "blast from the past" type of mold in a re-issued kit. Something I might consider down the road. Gonna follow this build.. :popcorn:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:hmm: :popcorn:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

And a start has been made! In my previous post i explained how the first steps in the instructions are all about gears, wires and technical assembly of the pedestal. The instructions are very precise and have written instructions as you go along. Even i can do that, right??

While i am working on that, i skipped ahead in the instructions a little to start the actual airplane assembly. Impatient yes yes i know....
What you end up with is a plethora of little mini assemblies which get to be glued into the fuselage later. Time for some painting!

Sofar i can say that this kit really reminds me of the Revell "classic" kits that were introduced a few years ago by Revell. Old molds of classic subjects that get refired to offer a golden oldie kit for the modeller that can remember them when they first came out, or a cheap large scale solution for the modeler with a thinner wallet.

The age of the mold is really showing and you get to do a lot of clean up of the parts and filiing/ sanding. The detail and accuracy of the kit are by no means up to par with the newer, more expensive kits that are on the market. But having said that, i knew this was going to be the case even before i started this model. So quite honestly, it doesn't really bother me.

Still, this is a nice, large model when done and i imagine one could also point out the educational value of this kit. Grampa can tell about this plane to his grandchildren and show how it operates, just to name an example.

So,.... so far so good and stay tuned folks!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Will stay tuned, my little green friend! :lashed:
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

:shocked:
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

:mrgreen:
Kermit
Advanced Member

Post by Kermit »

The past week i have managed to reach the point where i can close the fuselage. In the following set of pictures you can see the various components that make up the interior. Pretty decent engine and totally worthy of some extra work such as wiring and ducting! The cockpit is not bad at all and the floor even has a wood grain pattern molded in. Not too shabby for a kit this old! I am sure back in the day this was really top notch engineering.

As i close the fuselage i do notice the engine really needs some squeezing in. The fit of the various parts does leave something to be desired. But overall with some elbowgrease one can make it all work. Besides, this is pretty much the only large scale model of the P-51 with the see through plastic.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looking good...
Can only second to that!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ribbet!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”