Revell 1/32 F-4G Review & Build- update 12/13 (pg.19)

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 F-4G Review & Build- update 12/01 (pg.17)

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:yikes: That's one big ass bird, stik!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Sweet bird Carlos! That is one sharp looking model. I noticed a little "fuzz" still on the front of the ALQ-131 pod, but overall this is really coming together well! Enjoy this!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Blacksheep, it is one big ass bird indeed. I am going to leave off the outer wing panels as long as possible just for room on the bench. I already have them assembled and they should be attached by now, but... :hmm:

Mark, there is some fuzz there indeed... good catch. I'll see if I can brush it off. My new phone camera is excellent for these macro shots. That photo is way bigger than the item... lol. Those openings that I created are pretty damn small...

Note to anyone planing to use a Trumpeter ALQ-131 pod on their build and improve it themselves- open those areas before hand and add any strip styrene then. In hindsight, the same changes can be done far more easily at that point.

Also a review note at this point- alignment engineering. This kit fits together very well, but can easily be mis aligned in the fuselage to wings and front & rear fuselage joins. I am finding that it is better to glue sub sections together, such as the upper rear fuselage, leaving the lower center unglued, let that area set and dry, then attach the wing assembly. Test fit assemblies to find the best approach to remove or reduce gaps later on.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Good info in the review notes. I might even try that some with a few of my smaller scale birds.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Great tip, stik! I never thought of doing it that way.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My main task today was to get the rest of the sub assemblies completed. And the main landing gear struts really concerned me. They are molded in hollow halves, which in my view, compromises their strength to support such a large model. So I took some aluminum tubing that would fit inside each other to create some reinforcing struts to fit inside.

and I began construction of all the things that will hang off this bird

drop tanks

inner pylons and boarding ladder

Sparrows, Shrikes, Standard ARM. and ECM pod

landing gear struts and main wheels. you have weighted and un weighted types to choose from

begun work on the afterburners

outer wing panels

and the nose gear door, which presented a problem... as you can see here, the mold release pin marks were quite noticeable on the outer face and filling and sanding those away removed a good amount of the raised rivet detail.

Thankfully for another project I had some Archer rivet decals on hand so I will use these to replace the lot detail. They are not an exact match for the lost detail, but they look better than how it looks with them sanded away...

more to come in a day or two...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 F-4G Review & Build- update 12/03 (pg.18)

Post by Stuart »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

:popcorn:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. I think I'll be working on seam clean up for the next bit, now that most everything is attached to the main airframe except for all the little parts that I will save for last,

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Now you're going to hit it out of the park. Lovin' it just by scrolling through the pictures!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you for the vote of confidence on this project. It's coming along mostly as I intended...

FLSM

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”