Micro Weld review

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
Stikpusher

Micro Weld review

Post by Stikpusher »

On a whim for extra padding in an online hobby purchase, I decided to pick up some Micro Weld model cement. I had seen it for years at local shops on the Micro Scale products display racks, but never bought or used the stuff. With the current COVID stuff going on, and associated difficulties of getting some supplies due to shortages, I decided that it was time to try it out.

It comes in the typical Micro XXX plastic product bottle, that we know from their decal solutions and other products. But with a green lettered label in this case.

The label says non toxic, so that aroused my curiosity and suspicion. Was this like the terrible lemon scented Testors tube glue from the 70’s that didn’t work worth spit? Well now I had to find out. I have an aircraft project on deck, so I decided to kick it off by building the simple cockpit, a grand total of six parts. Tub, throttle and control stick, and three part ejection seat. Easy as pie.

The bottle instruction say to place the parts together and apply the paint with a brush, not provided, and allow capillary action draw the cement into the contact areas. Or, alternately, brush cement onto the contact area of both parts, then place them together. I opted for capillary action method one using an old #0 synthetic paint brush.

I started with the ejection seat. I opened the cap of the bottle and caught a whiff of a citrusy scent. Not a good omen, my grade school memories flashbacks reminded me. But, following the directions, holding the two parts together with one hand, I dipped my brush in the cement and applied the glue where needed. It flowed just like Tamiya Extra Thin into the proper areas. One ejection seat side glued on. Repeat for other side. Bang seat done. I then glued the two control sticks into their proper location holes on the cockpit tub. Easy peasy. Now allow it all time to dry.

After about 10 to 15 minutes of drying time I decided to try a few challenges. I push the parts to see if they’ll move easily. Nope... solid as a rock. I then try a shock test. Pick it up and drop it about 8 inches or so to my worktable top surface. Nothing pops free from impact. Now, the final test, drop it about four feet onto the epoxied concrete floor of my work area. No damage. Nothing pops off, shifts position, zero ill effects. I’m sold on this stuff so far. It’s putting to rest the ghosts of Testors past so far.

The only gig that I have against the stuff is the packaging. The bottle can be easily knocked over, and it is easily confused with all the other Micro Scale products in my supply area. Gotta pay attention to the labels. And figure out a way to stabilize the bottle.

This is the work done so far

I’ll do another bit with fuselage seams and other stress bearing joining surfaces in the future as I reach those points of assembly. As well as some styrene figure assembly some time. But so far, so good. Another option for you to consider when your primary styrene cement is out of stock.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Micro Weld review

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Sounds similar to Tenax, no?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So far, yes. Without the strong odor of Tenax.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well I am down to the last 1/3 of the bottle. I "think" I got mine at HL. But it's a nice alternative though.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Had a smile when reading about the stress test by dropping on concrete!
Very well written review, Carlos! With this many glues around I never tried this one. I'm sold on all three versions of Tamyia's stuff, but who knows, one day...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thomas, there was a reason for that test. Many years ago I was building a kit and I accidentally bumped an assembled piece off of my work bench and onto the concrete floor. The glued together pieces, which had been glued together during a different session on another day, popped apart. I then deliberately dropped another assembled identical piece on the floor deliberately. Same result. That was the day that I stopped using Testors liquid cement. I used primarily Tamiya after that. But when local shops started carrying Humbrol liquid cement I tried that, liked it, and use that along with Tamiya Extra Thin as my main liquid cements.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Absolutely great review Carlos, now I also got curious to test the product!

Did you clean up your old brush afterwards and if, with what ? White spirit or similar ?

I have some emtpy Tamiya Extra Thin bottles, I would probably pour the Micro weld cement into the Tamiya bottle and label it.

Those microscales bottles, they really ask to be knocked over.

And I am sure that is one of their business plan, so we users must every now and then buy a new bottle because the previous was poured on the table.. :giggles:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Does it melt or weld the plastic together?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote:Absolutely great review Carlos, now I also got curious to test the product!

Did you clean up your old brush afterwards and if, with what ? White spirit or similar ?

I have some emtpy Tamiya Extra Thin bottles, I would probably pour the Micro weld cement into the Tamiya bottle and label it.

Those microscales bottles, they really ask to be knocked over.

And I am sure that is one of their business plan, so we users must every now and then buy a new bottle because the previous was poured on the table.. :giggles:

- Kari
Kari, I simply let the glue evaporate off of the brush when I’m done. I do have a near empty bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin that I am thinking about using to hold the stuff. Or checking in my supply of foam padding for a piece that has a circular cut out that will fit the bottle. And I sure agree about Microscale’s business model of built in spillage to increase sales. A most nefarious plot on their part! :giggles: I don’t know how many bottles of Micro Sol and Micro Set that I’ve spilled over the years... :headslap:
Floki wrote:Does it melt or weld the plastic together?
I suppose so. I did not use enough as, say along a fuselage seam where you get a “weld bead” coming up from the seam line when pressure is applied. All I do know is that the stuff holds fast under sudden impact pressure. Which is where I’ve had CA glues fail on occasion - item dropped, and small piece breaks off at a glued joint.

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

When I used Tenax on my '57 Flip Nosed Vette to glue the front & rear chin parts, I applied from the backside and hold for a few seconds as opposed to the front side. I will admit I did apply a on the outside in a couple spots though. Yes, there was a period I had to tape the joins down is I had applied a bit too much. Worked for me.

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”