SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
Stikpusher

SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Post by Stikpusher »

Well here I finally go, my first official online review of a model kit. And what a kit to do (for me anyways), Revell's re issue of their classic 1/24 Scale Gemini Spacecraft. The kit is the same age as me, being both of 1965 vintage, so I will look at it in the context of its' vintage. First off, I think that a little background information on the subject is in order for those not familiar with the US Space program of the 1960s in general or Project Gemini in particular.

Project Gemini was second phase of manned space flight for the United States and a critical step in acheiving President Kennedy's ambitious goal of landing a man safely on the moon and returning him to Earth before the end of the 1960s. Project Mercury went from the baby steps of sub orbital space flight to the walk phase of multi orbit/muilti day space flight, but only by a sole Astronaut. Project Gemini would put two men into orbit, for longer durations, give them full control over their craft in space for rendezvous, docking, and maneuvering of their craft, allow for Extra Vehicular Activity (EVA), or "Spacewalks", and allow the Astronauts to perfect techniques of re rentry and landing at a selected location. Three of the "Mercury Seven" original Astronauts would go into orbit in Gemini along with the members second and third classes of Astronauts, many of whom would go to the Moon with Apollo. 12 Gemini Spacecraft would go into orbit, the first two being unmanned test flights and the remaining 10 fulfilling the objectives of the program, setting records, (of which one still stands to this day, nearly 48 years later), and pave the way for the trips to the Moon of Apollo. All in less than two years of Space Flight.

So today I will start with an "in box" review of the kit. What do we have here? Well first off, wh have a 15 1/2" x 9 1/4" x 3 1/4" box that has the original 1965 box art with the spacecraft shown in Earth orbit and tethered Astronaut performing a spacewalk. There is also the "SSP" logo (Selected Subjects Program) in the lower left corner and the classic Revell 1960s vintage logo in the upper right corner. Ghosts of Christmases past to me.

Upon opening the box, one finds a good amount of white plastic sprues bagged up, a single small sprue of clear plastic parts bagged seperately, a decal sheet, and a large folded single piece multi step instruction sheet.

The decal sheet is beautifully printed in the crisp manner that the current generation of Revell kits. As those of us who have been building their kits for many years know, this has not always been the case. Kudos to Revell for the improvement. I have seen photos online of the original issue kit decal sheet and this new one is far more extensive and better done. It includes some really sharp instrumentation decals, external markings of both the stencil type and ID/National type, as well as decals for the space suit insignia of the two Astronaut figures in the kit.

The parts counts is not too high for such a subject as you can see from this view of the sprues. Some of the parts such as the Service Module exterior are kind of large, while others are quite a bit smaller. A few of the parts on my kit had seperated from their sprue attachment points in transit. Overall, the level of the detail and molding very much reminded of Revells 1/32 aircraft kits of the same era. Considering that these molds are made by hand and not the CAD of today, I think that they have held up quite well over the years. Flash, sink marks and ejector pin marks are minimal upon initial examination.

The fine detail of the interior, such as the instruments and controls, is mostly raised, and with some basic painting techniques, as well as the kit decals, can really be made to look the part.

The exterior corrugations and bolts look the part when compared to photos of the actual Gemini spacecraft.

kit exterior

actual Gemini spacecraft exterior

The only place where I found a bit of flash, coupled with some ejector pin marks, on my particular kit was here on the inner surface of the crew hatches. Nothing that a little clean up work can not fix in a short time.

The clear parts for the capsule hatch windows and Astronaut helmets' face visors are molded thin and crystal clear. With a coat of Future before being glued in place, I think that they will look really good.

And finally we have the 1/24 Astronaut figures. They come in front and rear halves, are molded in indentical seated postions, and are just like their 1/32 cousins who manned Revell's 1/32 aircraft of the same era. While it would be nice to have some better and more animated looking Astronaut figures to fill the seats, these guys will give a good scale reference to the finished build. With the kit decals and some creative painting, I think that they will look okay.

My only real gig on the kit is the color call outs on the instruction sheet. They seem to be based off of this NASA illustration, and not actual Gemini Spacecraft. Fortunately the Gemini Program is well documented in photographs, and I will be basing my painting work on colors turned up in image searches online. I will call all this out during the course of my buid review here.

So there you have it. A current re issue of a vintage kit that aside from a newer instruction sheet and new decal sheet, is pretty much identical to the one first issued when this subject was the latest thing flying. I am very much looking forward to building this kit...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft

Post by Thomas_M »

Thanks for this one, Stik!

The new decal sheet looks awesome, good to see that Revell has got this up to today's standards. Remembering those kits from the old days back then your review makes me tempted to get one myself. Only, I don't know if these SSP kits are available around here.

Looking forward to your build!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Youre very welcome Thomas. I am sure that you can easily find this kit from an online source right now.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Had to get this posted on SPAModeler´s Facebook page! :)
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I am happy to hear you posted this on there. I started cutting parts off the sprues and gluing them together in the brief time that had today between eating breakfast and leaving for work. I will get photos of all work done posted up here either late tonite after work, or in the morning tomorrow before work. But Step 1's gluing is pretty much done.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Awesome start, Stik! I've been waiting for this one, with your fondness for spacecraft....this should be fun. I've also sent this link to the contact at Revell!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

LyleW wrote:Awesome start, Stik! I've been waiting for this one, with your fondness for spacecraft....this should be fun. I've also sent this link to the contact at Revell!
Also tell them we posted this on our Facebook page! :)
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

So far it is fun Lyle.

So here we go on the build itself. As I said during my in box review, the color call outs seem to be based off of a NASA illustration and off of early/pre operational Gemini mock ups and equipment. So the first thing that I did was to go thru various image searches and find photos of actual mission equipment. So I went thru the instruction sheet and annotated my own color call outs for use during construction. One thing that I do like about the instruction sheet is that it goes back to the old Revell tradition from back in the day where the parts are identified by name so that this kit can be educational during the learning process, naming this lever or that box.

Then I began cutting parts off of the sprues and gluing them together. The plastic itself is a tad on the soft side and not brittle at all so far. Mold seam and attachment stub clean up was quite easy with my needle files.

center console with control stick and release handle installed

overheard center console with lever installed

rear bulkhead attached to heat shield

and I have the front instrument panel and cabin sidewalls removed from the sprues but will not glue them in place until after painting is done in the next few days

with the sidewalls placed on the rear bulkhead

and finally the two Astronaut figures. I will not add their clear face shields until after painting

I know that painting all this will take longer than building it did ;)

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Just in case some money is left you maybe could be interested in such stuff:

http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/geminipg.html

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/spacemo ... ecals.html

There should be more out there. I have no idea on availability, though.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That stuff looks great, and if this kit was strictly by me for me, I would seriously consider the upgrades. But, it would not be a true and proper review if I were to start adding or replacing kit parts with aftermarket ones. At least not in my mind anyways.

FLSM

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”