SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
Stikpusher

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft update 8/23

Post by Stikpusher »

I will buy it online if I can not find it in a store. But I still prefer to support local businesses before online places.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Asking the staff at one of the local shops might yield some results too. If nothing else they could probably order it in for you.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have already done that. But it has been awhile since I bought my last bottle. Perhaps things have changed in the meantime...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

OK, after multiple speedbumps with Photobucket, I am finally able to get this update going... I swear that I waste more time online due to problems with the site :headbang:

After repeated applications of Solvaset, I think this is as good as I will get with the decals over the corrugations

Not prefect, but good enough.

I also painted the manuevering thruster nozzles on the Retrograde and Equipment sections based upon photos. I still need to paint their centers. But that will be after I airbrush on the final clear coat tomorrow

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft update 8/25

Post by LyleW »

:bow: :bow:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Mighty fine finish Stick.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Well I am not thru with my original bottle of Solvaset yet. But aside from online, I have no idea where to buy a replacement when this bottle runs out. The shop where I bought it went out of business last year... and I have not seen either of the other local shops carrying the stuff. :sad:
Military Hobbies has had Solvaset in the past and I think they can still get it. I've also gotten it at Pegasus Hobbies in Montclair before. I will also check with Tony's Hobbies and Toys in Baldwin Park; if they have some there I'll see if I can pick some up for you.

Nice update Carlos! That is really coming along nicely. I think you've sunk those decals sufficiently.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Mark. I did what I could with what was in the box. :Beer:

So after a bit over four weeks of not so constant effort, I am calling this one done. This afternoon I finished up all the final touches- gluing on clear parts after a final airbrushed coat of Humbrol Satin Clear Coat, painting up the Astronauts helmets, then gluing them in in their seats, and lastly painting in the ablative coating in the manuevering nozzles.

a close up of Astronaut John Young (my close up shot of Gus did not come out so well)

some of the beautiful molded on exterior surface detailing

and on the kit display stand

In a nutshell the kit is, in my view, an oldie but goodie. While it builds into a generic Gemini Spacecraft straight out of box, with a little internet research it can easily be accurized into any of the specific Gemini Spacecraft of that program. In it's favor it has very nice decals (that just need a bit of tweeking for the Instrument Panel), beautiful exterior detail, simple engineering and construction, good fit, and a large impressive size when completed. Gigs against the kit are: some ambiguous and missing details on the Rendezvous & Recovery Section top and Cabin section sidewalls, hatch interiors and overhead console, improperly sized Instrument Panel decals (easily addressed by cutting them in a few strategic places), incomplete and incorrect painting instructions, and lastly, no gold mylar shroud to the rear of the Equipment Section. All the shortfalls are easily addressed, and this kit can really be made into a show stealer with either some AM products available or with some creative use of whatever scratchbuilding materials one prefers. For the price, one can not go wrong buying and building this kit. Many thanks to Revell and Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeling website for the opportunity to review this kit. As someone who grew up in the shadow of the Aerospace Program and Industry here in Southern California this has been a true pleasure. Thanks for looking

Last edited by Thomas_M on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected one picture link - Thomas_M

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Post by LyleW »

Carlos, thank you for this outstanding piece of work! She is quite the looker.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: SPAM Review- Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos, that is extremely well done! Outstanding review as well. You have done this model proud.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”