Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
LyleW
Admin

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Post by LyleW »

Quit the in in progress inventory. Let’s get er done!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Blacksheep! Yeah, I've been wanting one of those Ducks for awhile, but never had a kit of one till now.

Thank you Medic! I look forward to seeing yours when you get it.

Thank you Lyle! Doing my best!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great stuff as always Mark!

I'm liking those Russkie MBTs, they look like fun little kits!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Stuart! They are fun kits, but these T-64's are so similar, I'm having a tough time keeping them sorted; especially since they are all essentially the same kit with additional parts for the different versions... and the instructions don't quite make it clear what goes on what. The nice thing is, I have enough spare parts to make a whole new model if I want!

Stay tuned, more to come!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I've been trying to keep busy, so there's more to show in this latest tour. Thank you for coming in, all aboard the trams and we'll get started....

Once again, the Hangar is the first stop. We got a bit of progress done on a number of aircraft. First, the Grumman Duck got it's wings on:

I had also added the canopy first since trying to get that on with the upper wing in place might have been quite difficult:

Next up, we got the canopy masked and installed on the AH-1Z:

While that was drying, we also worked on two more AH-1's, this time two -G models. The late one from AZModel was first since it seemed to be the easiest to do. We started with the cockpit of course, gluing it straight into the one side of the fuselage:

This got painted later:

While that was drying we masked off the canopy for painting:

Then the fuselage went together after the P/E parts were installed inside:

The canopy, wings, tail, and other detail parts were then installed:

While waiting for that to dry, we started on the AH-1G Early from Special Hobby. Of course, we got the cockpit assembled:

The decals for the instrument panels looked great so we added them to the instrument panels:

Then all the other parts: wings, tail, tail feathers, engine inlet covers, exhaust and a myriad of other things went on this after the fuselage was closed up:

The last one we got working on was the Russian Ka-29 which had been giving me fits! The previous time we closed the fuselage and added some of the other parts; the interior rotor mount broke away and we needed to tear the whole thing apart and repair it before moving forward. Hey, it's a Russian helicopter right? While that was drying, we masked off the canopy clear parts:

After that, we were able to re-close this up and add all the parts that had to be removed before. Then to feel like I made some progress on it, we added the clear parts as well:

Finally, another Forum friend sent me the extra airfield accessories he didn't want, so we got these built to help with future projects:

Finally that completes the tour of the Hangar, now on to the Shipyards.

The first thing we tried was to get the decals on the RAF Rescue Launch. The main problem there was that the decals were so old, they curled right up once loose from the backing paper. Here's one of the roundels showing what they all did:

That one even tore while I was trying to remove it from the tweezers. The rest remained intact fortunately. How do you fix something like that? Well, I 'painted' on some of the latest iteration of Future and then we placed the decal on the patch of Future. Using a soft brush, we slowly unrolled the decal, pressing it flat on the Future. The Future was just sticky enough to hold it, and as it dried, I continued to brush the edges so they would stay down. Here is the results:

That shot shows the roundel from above. The only decals I had any issues with were the deck decals. The checkerboard ones didn't fit so I cut slits to work around the posts on deck. I also cut parts on the number decal that were settled over raised detail. I then pressed down on the raised detail to try and get it to conform as best I could. I'm happy enough with these. They look far better than I expected for such ancient decals!

Here's a shot of the stern number:

And a shot of the other side, with a better look at the deck markings:

Okay, enough of that. I wanted to start a more simple model and actually do some construction so we laid the keel for the USS Indianapolis. Once that was done, we started on the main superstructure holding the bridge since that part could be assembled without having to fasten it down to the hull:

Later while that was drying, we built up the hull and main decks. The bridge sub-assembly was dry fit on it to see how it fits:

That is all from the Shipyards, now on to the Motor Pool...

Not too much was done here, but it seemed like a lot since it took awhile. First, the Australian Bushmaster was masked off with the Silly Putty so the first color could be sprayed on once the paint booth is fired up:

Next we started on the upper hull of the T-62 with ERA armor on it:

Quite simple, but the Rolls Royce was calling so we got started on that one, chassis being the beginning:

Then of course, the main hull:

Followed by the cargo(?) area in back:

And finally the turret which was surprisingly difficult to get lined up properly:

And we'll close this tour with the mock up of this attractive little armored car:

Thank you all for stopping in and taking the tour. Comments are always welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice batch here Mark. The Duck is coming along great! I can’t wait to see how that one turns out. And then we get to USS Indianapolis…. she holds a star crossed place in US Navy annals… I’m looking forward to seeing her done. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool builds Mark!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Blacksheep!

Thank you Carlos! I do like the Duck, and I'm glad to get it further along. The instructions didn't tell me I needed such a dihedral on the lower wings to get the struts to actually touch. Once I got them 'bent' upwards, everything fit well. However, it looks like the Duck will be bypassed once again until I can find the horizontal stabilizers. For some reason, they disappeared out of the box. I should look for the original kit I started and see if that one has some spares.

Your description of the Indianapolis' service record is one of the reasons I wanted her in my Navy.

Thank you Mike! MY apologies for the late reply. I've been so crazy busy lately dealing with a myriad of things.

Gonna try to get my 12 hour build posted. Stay tuned.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, now we are ready for the next tour of the plant. The trams have been cleaned and maintained and are now ready for boarding. This will be a bit of a short tour this time as the crew in the Shipyards took some time off.

All aboard!

Here in the Hangar we got the first color shot on the top of the Zulu Cobra:

It is a bit hard to see, but I assure you it is there. After that dried, we masked off the top color to prepare for the next color:

The Marine Harrier also got the first color shot on the top:

This one will have three colors on it, so when it dried we also masked off the top for the second grey:

That was all that got done in the Hangar; yeah, it has been a slim week time wise. Here in the Motor Pool, we were able to get even more done, mostly because we were able to fire up the spray booth.

First was the Australian Bushmaster which got the second color:

Once that dried, we got that one covered for the third color:

That should be done with painting fairly soon...

We also shot some paint on the Swedish Assault Gun. However, due to the fact that there was no paint schematic included in the instructions; we had to freehand this and guess where the colors went based on the few views seen on the box. First came the green basecoat:

Followed by the second color, brown:

... and then the third color, black. I used a lightened black for this one:

Once all that was dry, we glossed it for the decals:

Only to find that the decals (and photo-etch gun muzzle among others) have gone on walkabout. When I track them down, this little thing will be finished!

Next we also shot some color on the Rolls Royce. This one was done in a British desert tan because I like the big roundel on the top of the turret on this scheme:

After that, the three Russian tanks got their green basecoat:

The T-64 Mod 1981:

The T-64AV:

...and the T-72 Rogatka:

And now that completes this short tour of Maddog Manufacturing. Thank you all for coming in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”