Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Lyle! That is funny about the socks! Hey, I just don't have the patience to work on one from start to finish. Sometimes when one is going very well, I'll marathon it until I can go no further; but if I still want to work on something; I sure have a lot more to choose from.

Thank you Carlos! I can't wait till I can get some of these over the finish line!

Thank you Mike! I love Cobras too; they are such mean machines!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Mike's right, you've got ot love those Cobras!

Excellent work on those Russian Tanks Mark!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Stuart! Yeah, I think Cobras are one of my top three favorite helicopters. Thanks for the compliments on the Russian tanks. I'll be thrilled when they are done!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, here it is almost a week later and we have a lot to show in this latest tour. The trams are coming around now, so when they are ready, feel free to climb aboard for another Maddog Manufacturing tour.

We did get back to the Russian tanks as mentioned above, but more on that later. Our tour starts in the Hangar.

There's not much progress at all to show here. We had intended to apply decals to all the Cobras, but two of the decal sheets needed liquid decal film so they were coated and set aside to dry. Then we got ready to do the decals for the Zulu Cobra; but then I saw the photo etch fret inside with all the screens for this model. So, we added all the screens to this and set it aside to dry. It'll need paint again:

Moving on to the Shipyards, we've got a good bit more to show. While some work was done on the Enterprise, not enough was done to show any measurable progress. On the next slip over, the Indianapolis got all her superstructure built up:

Since we've been working on all these ships; I figured it was time to return to the USS Sacramento which had been languishing for months a couple slips over. After checking it out, we went to work adding on all these greeblies onto the upper deck of the superstructure. This was quite the challenge as the instructions were as clear as mud as to where they went. Hopefully, they are all in the proper places:

That's only half of them too. We still have a good bit to go. Here is a shot of the superstructure dry fit to the hull:

I'm still trying to figure out when to paint this before finishing all the rest of the detail parts. I think that's why she was left alone for so long.

Finally, we dropped the keep on another ship; this time one I'd never built before. This is the hull and decks of the Italian battleship Vittorio Venetto:

I've always loved Italian battleships; the Italians sure built them pretty back in WWII. It's about time I added one to the navy. I also have the Roma somewhere that I need to find and build along with the Venetto.

Moving on now to the Motor Pool, there's considerably more to see as was mentioned at the beginning of this tour. I was so close to finishing so many models that we marathoned these to see how far we could get. First off, I found the decals and photo etch for the Swedish M-34 Assault gun so we went to work on that straight away. The most important part was the gun muzzle. We first annealed the photo etch before removing the muzzle part to roll. Here it is partially rolled on the instruction sheet showing what needs to be done:

Yes, it's tiny; probably only 2mm long if that. I started with cementing the partially rolled muzzle brake onto the end of the gun:

Later we finished rolling it and cemented the remainder of the part down:

It may look like there's a gap at the bottom but that was a a part that folded under that I needed to unfold. You can also see in the pic that the decals had been applied.

Next, I had to fix one of the broken arms of the Australian Bushmaster since; like the SAS one, it broke off and disappeared. So, a bit of stretched sprue bent just so and Bob's your uncle:

As that was drying, we took a shot at painting the spare tire cover with a representation of the hex-patterned camouflage. Why Dragon didn't include that I'll never know since they did include a dusty windshield decal for the SAS one. It ain't perfect, but close enough from three feet away:

Moving on from there we have a lot to show of the progress made on all my Russian tanks and truck.

Let's start with the truck...

This is the CLUB M coastal defense missile system truck that I've had sitting for a bit. Here you can see the decals have been applied (very hard to see but they are there) and the wheels have been added:

They were tough; the wheels would not stay lined up and the rubber part kept slipping off the hubs. What a pain!

Next up are all the tanks, starting with the most difficult one: the T-64AV. First we added all the photo-etch plate to the forward deck and the screens to the engine deck:

Here's where we checked it to see that nothing interfered with the turret turning. It's good:

Next was the part I'd said "never again", but here I am: adding the side skirts to this thing by attaching it to the P/E brackets, just like on my T-64 BV I'd built some years before. Yes, I checked it to be sure I wasn't building two of the same tank. I don't know what the differences are but the instructions say this is an -AV while the one I built before was a -BV. I'd compare the two, but the T-64 BV is still packed in the tub.

Anyway, enough idle chatter, the first thing that was needed was something to hold the skirt at the proper height. After checking a bunch of clamps, clips, props and all I finally hit on the idea of using the Silly Putty. We pulled a good amount off, rolled it a bit and then added the skirt. We then placed the tank next to it, adjusted the brackets as best we could without breaking them (one did break but was fixed) and then we added the glue:

Once it was dry, we repeated the process on the other side:

This was shot after the first skirt was dry to see how successful we were. It shows that the process worked:

I had enough of that so we moved on...

The next tough one was the T-80 which, because it was part of the tank transporter set, did not have the photo etch that it was supposed to have. Maybe I put it away after finishing the truck half of the kit; that seems to be the most logical result. Anyway, to save time, I pulled out some sheet styrene and cut the flat pieces out that would replace the missing photo etch:

It's kind of hard to see in that pic, but I replaced the shelf holding the ammo can and the plate and bracket for the small light next to the machine gun. Here they are in place:

And the glamour shot of the whole thing put together:

The T-72 Rogatka had some photo etch and the fuel drums added:

Later it was painted and cleared for decals:

The T-64 Mod 1981 was cleared for decals:

The decals were applied and the machine gun gun accessories were added:

The T-64 BM-2 had decals added and the photo etch added to the turret as well as the hull:

Well, that was a lot. We worked on these assembling them in an assembly line manner to try and bring them over the finish line at about the same time.

That concludes our tour of the latest work achieved at Maddog Manufacturing. Thank you all for taking the tour and always remember comment are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Those Ruskie tanks are looking awesome Mark - looking forward to seeing them done!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Stuart! Look no further than the Completed Armor forum. You'll see them all along with three others. :lashed:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man Mark, you're a machine!! Nice work!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Mike! Just trying to clear the hobby room of boxes...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, I didn’t realize it had been so long since the last tour went through. I had thought that I’d hosted a tour previously, it apparently didn’t happen. Now since I have so much progress to show, I realize this will have to be a multi-part tour. The first tour will depart for the Hangar and then the Shipyards first, then we will return to board the trams for the tour to the Motor Pool which will be split as well.Hopefully this helps others who have difficulty with download speeds. The reason for this is I was so busy with so much other stuff in between bench sessions, much of it was preparations for the San Diego Comicon, among other things. I just kept on building, getting carried away. And then I contracted Covid. When that happened, I just kept on building and painting since that was about all I felt like doing when I wasn’t resting.
So, without further ado, the first trams are here. All aboard!

Here in the Hanger, work progressed on the helicopters, starting with the two AH-1 Cobras.

The early Cobra got the decals applied. I applied four or five applications of decal solvent to the Decal on the boom:

Later the dullcoat went on:

That’s when I noticed the decals on the tail boom again. I’ll never understand why every time I build one of the AH-1 Cobras from any company; the “United States Army” decals always silver on the boom! Never fails! After four more rounds of puncturing the decals and applying more solvent under them; watching it leech underneath from capillary action; we finally got them un-silvered.

The same happened with the Cobra Late, decals on after the gloss:

Followed by the dull coat again:

You can see we had the same issue on the boom, only this time not as bad. Still, further continuous attempts with sharp Exacto blades and solvent finally fixed it….so far

On another day, I was cleaning up and reorganizing the Hobby Room and came across several old kits that had been stashed out of sight. This Stormovik was in a broken-up box with a few loose parts inside. So, after checking to see everything was there, to keep from loosing any of the parts I decided we should start it:

After doing the “cockpit”, we got ready to close the fuselage. That’s when I found one piece had gone missing: the rear seat gunner. So, when this gets posed, I’ll just explain that the pilot is waiting for the gunner to return from his bathroom break…

The instructions tell you that this can be built with retracting and extending landing gear. Maybe at one time, but this kit did everything it could to insure that glue got in all the places it wasn’t supposed to go; so everything was glued in the extended position after we assembled the wings:

The fuselage and wings were then assembled:

The tail feathers are only dry fit on, I forgot to take them off for the pic. The clamp is because I found a gap that I added extra Tamiya Thin to so it would seal closed.

That was enough on that one. This last one was re-shot with a Flanker Blue Grey, which is darker than the original coat I gave it. This way I can mask off the darker parts with Silly Putty and then shoot the lighter Russian Topside Grey:

On to the next part of the tour in the Shipyards.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Here we are at the Shipyards where the ship builders have been working very hard.

Let’s stop at this first slip where the USS Sacramento had been sitting for awhile before work resumed. There are a ton of tiny greeblies that go on the upper deck of the superstructure and so we started on the first ones:

These were difficult to get right since the instructions were as clear as mud as to where everything was supposed to go among the forest of holes on top. Fortunately, we were able to figure them out. This looks pretty good on the hull:

Next came the second round of details on this upper deck. There were a lot more:

She was then staged again, this time with the lower hull which we will be adding to the top hull. She’s looking more impressive:

Once they were all dry, we placed the superstructure on the hull and then shot a gunship grey over the decks:

The color schematic calls for a light grey, so I found my Testor’s Model Master Light Grey and we proceeded to start painting the sides of the superstructure. This ain’t so easy to do:

The superstructure is just sitting on the hull; it’s much easier to paint without it being attached.

The view from the stern:

I’ll be painting the hangar doors a different grey. Probably Dark Gull or Neutral. We’ll see.

Another ship we started to paint was the USS Indianapolis in the next slip. We started with the lower color, a Navy Blue Grey:

I used the Federal Standard color. Later we taped this off to paint the upper part of the hull:

That hasn’t happened yet, but I did get a supply of the correct deck color. Hopefully soon…

Now on to the next part of the shipyards tour.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”