Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Stikpusher

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Post by Stikpusher »

Good update Mark! Man, aside from the flat color on the Cobra, it’s hard to tell that it has been painted.
What do you use for masking your canopies?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Excellent,stuff Mark, those all look awesome - I'm loving the RAF Launch.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Carlos! Yeah, I was a bit concerned that the medium grey would not be very noticeable on the Zulu, but that is what is called for on the instructions schematic. Maybe when I get the Ghost Grey on it, this will look more sharp. I mask the canopies first with Tamiya tape to shoot the frame. Then if the canopy frame is a different color than the main fuselage; I will mask with more Tamiya tape along the straight edges, then cover the remaining area that needs to stay the original color with Silly Putty, particularly around the curves. I have more control over the masking that way and it's easier for me.

Thank you Stuart! I do expect the RAF Rescue Launch to launch from the slipways quite soon now. Stay tuned...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

As always Mark, good looking projects, good looking progress.

My absolute favorite, the Grumman Duck, how is it going with it ?
Curious to see what camo you will paint, it's ready for paint ?

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Kari! It does feel good to make this progress.

Unfortunately the Duck is on hold for the time being. The horizontal stabilizers have gone walkabout, both sets. Until I find them, there's not much more I can do except add the outrigger floats. As for the paint work, I'm not sure but I'm leaning toward the dark blue pattern so far. it is still some way away from paint too.

Pray I find those horizontal stabilizers soon.... :bored:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is a heads up for those who have difficulty loading this Thread.

The following post is long and pic heavy with about 36 pics showing my latest work over the past week. If you feel this is too long to wait for, I understand. I will see if I can post a synopsis with very few pics in the "What's on the Workbench?" Thread so you can see what I have been doing.

Thank you and I apologize for the lengthy post and excessive pics.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Once again it is time for another tour of the plant. This will be a long one, but quick as there is not going to be too much narration here. So without further ado, lets board the trams!

Starting in the Hangar again, we managed to get some paint down on my three Cobras. Before painting, we managed to put together the five-part canopy on the AH-1G Early:

That was then masked off like the -Late Cobra so we could shoot paint on both at the same time:

Then it was shot with a base coat of OD Green:

Since I shot that one, and the -Late was already masked and ready to go, it also got a base coat of OD Green:

We might just clear coat these and add the decals right away before adding all the breakable parts on these. Meanwhile, the masking came off the AH-1 Zulu and on close inspection, we realized on the left side, the upper color did not come down far enough on the engine nacelle to match the right side. So the left side was re-masked and sprayed again, setting this issue right:

That completes the Hangar part of the tour, time to visit the Motor Pool...
This again, will be quite fast. So much of the work is repetitive on multiple models but since all are different; I'm showing all the work.

To start, the Australian Bushmaster was given a coat of gloss, and then the decals were applied:

Later it was dullcoated for mask removal, weathering and final detail parts:

The next time this will be seen is when my Australian Army takes delivery of the finished vehicle.

Now on to the next bunch.....

I'll start with this first one that I had purchased for my birthday. It is the Trumpeter T-62 with ERA. The upper hull was worked on first, getting all the stowage boxes and other parts installed:

Next was the lower hull. This was easy as the whole outside wheels and tracks were alll one piece:

Upper and lower hulls assembled:

After that was the turret:

Finally the whole thing was painted up:

Moving on from there, we worked on the T-64 Mod 1981. Tracks were installed, then painted with a base coat of flat black:

Everything put together and clearcoated for decals:

The next T-64 is the AV version. Again, tracks installed and painted black:

Then before we could put the hulls together, we had to add some photo-etch skirts to the upper hull fenders. These were attached with Gator;s Grip Glue as is all the photo-etch that we added to the rest of the models. Some photo-etch was also added to the engine deck and the turret on this one:

Additional photo-etch was needed on the front of the upper hull:

Then this version calls for hanging skirts of ERA to the side of the tank.....using photo-etch hooks. I'd done this once before and swore "never again!". But here I am, doing it again:

You can see in the upper right of the diagram how these little tiny bits needed to be folded. At least two broke from unavoidable excessive folding. After that ordeal, I wanted to see that this was all worth it so here is the glamour shot before those skirts go on:

Moving on, we worked some more on the T-64 BM-2, starting again with the tracks:

Upper hull was worked on as well with side skirts added and then fastened down to the lower hull:

Turret was then started. Yes it is going to get the same type of flaps that are on the T-72:

The glamour shot of this one as well:

Speaking of the T-72, this one also got the tracks installed and painted:

Basecoat painted, and then the flaps because I wanted to see them black. Fuel tanks also added to the back:

Clearcoated for decals:

Finally the last (so far) of these Russian tanks, the T-80BV. This tank was the load for my MAZ 534 tank transporter that I set aside to build 'someday'. Someday came and the turret; as with all Modelcollect Russian tank kits, was started first:

This turret was a difficult build in that the instructions did not say how to install everything on the very back of this turret. I had to refer to pics for that, trying to match what I saw with the parts available.

Next the upper and lower hulls were fastened together and the suspension was installed:

Dry fitting the turret showed an excellent fit with nothing snagging the hull:

Final glamour shot after the fenders and several other detail parts were added:

This was the total work I did on these tanks during Hobby Day:

Once I got home, I was able to paint, clearcoat and decal these and one other. Here they all are after their decals went on:

Front left to right: T-62, T-64 Mod 1981, T-64BM2,

Back let to right: T-72 Rogatka, T-80BV

And that completes this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing. Time to work on something different now, at least for a couple days. Then I can come back and finish these Russian Tanks.

Thanks for taking the tour, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mark, great stuff! Mixing all those types is mind boggling to me...I was feeling cocky about getting socks on the right feet this morning.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice update Mark! I’m loving the Cobras and all the Soviet/Russian MBTs… :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Loving the Cobras!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Member's Gallery”