Pasadena CA Valleycon 2018

Tell us about upcoming shows, contests and events. If you participate and get some recognition, tell us about it! Show pictures are welcome.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Pasadena CA Valleycon 2018

Post by Duke Maddog »

Last weekend I went to the Pasadena Valleycon that was held at the Peterson Automotive Museum. It was a great show with 509 entries and over seven hundred actual models on the tables. I didn't get to take many pics since my battery started dying in my camera, I had to only shoot those things that really caught my eye. Here's what I did get to take.

In Aircraft, these are the ones that caught my eye the most:

1/48th scale:

1/32nd scale:

1/35th scale:

I loved seeing this in the Sci-Fi category. He used the 1/72 scale USAF Ground Crew set for this:

This was cool too, like the Cylon was guarding his trophy. The light in the Cylon was on and moving:

These next couple pics will show a 40-foor long diorama brought in by a car club showing Whittier Blvd circa 1970's I believe. It took Best Diorama:

there were at least 120 cars on display on that diorama.

This was one of my all-time favorites--Porco Rosso next to his plane in his private lagoon:

This was interesting being built inside a metal pail:

This was the only 1/35th scale armor I shot.... sorry armor guys!

This was exquisitely done. It's in 1/700 scale:

This year, George included trains for the first time in his contest. He had four running layouts upstairs in the Penthouse and a category in the contest for static train displays. Here's some pics of some of the running layouts:

In that last pic, you could see people inside a restaurant in that red brick building!

More coming soon.....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Pasadena CA Valleycon 2018

Post by Duke Maddog »

Here's some more aircraft from the show:

This was done by a JUNIOR! And NO! Dad did not help! Time to quit this hobby:

More railroad layout pics. These guys have a wild sense of humor:

The aforementioned people on the top floor restaurant:

The rest of the pics are 1/72 scale armor which nobody can see anyway. LOL!

It was a fabulous show and I can't wait to see it next year! Later on I'll post pics of my purchases and raffle prizes. Until then, thanks for looking in comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That looks like it was a great show Mark. Did you enter anything? If so, how did you do?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Mark! That Y was built by Oggie Gonzalez! He is amazing with Sci-fi subjects; a very creative and talented fella!

Regarding trains, do you model in HO? Reason I ask, HOn3 was my father’s scale (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and RR he modeled was the Carson & Colorado. I have a hand built steam loco that I would like to clean up but I need good advice re the cleaning of delicate brass pieces.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:That looks like it was a great show Mark. Did you enter anything? If so, how did you do?
Thanks Carlos. George always throws a fantastic show. It keeps getting better and better!

I entered 14 models; most of them small scale armor. I also entered one aircraft, one Star Wars and one car.

The car was the Monkeemobile; the Star Wars was that big Imperial Star Destroyer and the aircraft was my F-102 Delta Dagger in SEA camouflage. I took an Honorable Mention with that. Aircraft were very light this year and armor was even down. Small scale armor was very light as well. there were only 19 models in that category and 11 were mine. Sci-Fi was down only slightly; cars were waaaaay up, mostly because of that 40' diorama. 1.35th scale armor was about the same, and as expected, Wechsler took Best Armor with his Stryker.

I'm going to try and post my Honorable Mention in the Trophy Case soon.

speedgraflex wrote:Image

Thanks, Mark! That Y was built by Oggie Gonzalez! He is amazing with Sci-fi subjects; a very creative and talented fella!

Regarding trains, do you model in HO? Reason I ask, HOn3 was my father’s scale (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and RR he modeled was the Carson & Colorado. I have a hand built steam loco that I would like to clean up but I need good advice re the cleaning of delicate brass pieces.

Thanks Bruce! He did a sensational job on that Y-wing! And yes, I model in HO scale since it is fairly close to 1/72 scale. Close enough at least so that if I add some HO buildings to a display with some of my vehicles, it doesn't look too bad as long as the vehicles aren't too close to the buildings. The best way to clean the brass pieces is with Brasso. Use a delicate cloth or brush very lightly and work gently. It takes a little extra time in order to not break or bend anything, but does work.

Thanks again for looking in guys! I always appreciate your awesome replies.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man I love that Y-wing! Which entry of yours received the honorable mention?

I’m not surprised that Wechsler took 1st place with his Stryker. If it is the one that I’m thinking of, it’s a very impressive build. Between him and Glidden, it’s hard to even place in any event category that those two enter.

All that Whittier Boulevard cruising scene needs is a KRLA soundtrack.... it puts our OC IPMS Tiki Hut on notice.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: Lots of great work there! That Y-Wing is awesome!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Man I love that Y-wing! Which entry of yours received the honorable mention?

I’m not surprised that Wechsler took 1st place with his Stryker. If it is the one that I’m thinking of, it’s a very impressive build. Between him and Glidden, it’s hard to even place in any event category that those two enter.

All that Whittier Boulevard cruising scene needs is a KRLA soundtrack.... it puts our OC IPMS Tiki Hut on notice.

I agree about that Y-wing.

My Honorable Mention was my F-102 Delta Dagger. I have the Trophy Case pic taken, I just need to upload it to show it off.

You are so right about Wechsler and Glidden. Makes me thrilled that they don't build 1/72 scale armor!! :shoutout:

Actually, the Whittier Blvd diorama DID have a KRLA soundtrack. You had to stand right next to it to hear it but they did have KRLA cruising music playing.

Thanks Medic! You are so right!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Duke for showing a great selection of pics from the convention "on the other side of the lake". Can only dream to once have the opportunity to visit a convention in US ...

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Even a KRLA sound chip? Oh damn... Those guys have all the bases covered presentation wise. I do hope that we are not against them in Phoenix with our AMPS T-55 GB.

Kari, I’ve only been to a few events here, and they have been great. But it looks like your people know how to put on a great show themselves.

FLSM

Return to “Shows, Contests and Recogition”