1/32 Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 Zero - Limited Edition

jelliott523
Master Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 Zero - Limited Edi

Post by jelliott523 »

Alrighty, I've started getting some color on this thing. As pictured above, I had primed with Stynylrez and then applied a coat of AK Extreme Metal Duraluminum for chipping and scratches later.
Here I have applied Ammo of Mig Heavy Chipping fluid. I did a few areas by brushing it on around dzus fasteners and hinged panels and some step areas and the leading edges, in the wing root on the port side I airbrushed the fluid on for heavier chipping and scratches. To get chips I used some tape in areas to see if it would pull off the paint color in actual "chips" it worked really well on the bottom (no pictures of that yet) and on the leading edge port wing. The scratches and wear areas I used a toothpick to flake away in smaller pieces. Around the wing root I cut down an old wide stiff bristled brush and worked the area to show faded paint and areas where it wore down to the metal below. I've also used a silver Prismacolor pencil in some chipping areas. I still have a little more to do before starting the application of decals. I am considering using masks to paint the Hinomaru's on the wings and fuselage to get a more worn and faded appearance.
Last edited by jelliott523 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Freekin nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Thanks Mustang!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Very nicely done indeed! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

mustang1989 wrote:Freekin nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P1: :shoutout:
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Well #*^$@!!!!! It appears I have finally received the ransom pics in place of all of my previous posts. I will work on getting them replaced. I have started an account with Smugmug and I'll work on switching them over. Fortunately, I still had all of these shots for this build on my phone.
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

Okay folks, lets try this again, I've re-posted the photos from smugmug.com and it seems to be working.
Here is the latest pic I have of this great bird. As you can see in this photo, I've changed the some of the chipping and weathering a bit. I just wasn't happy with the first shots. The longer I looked at it, it didn't have the proper fade effects I wanted. I stripped everything down to the Xtreme Metal and lightly sanded it again. I then re-shot the Xtreme Metal and then re-sprayed the green after applying a better layer of chipping fluid. I then worked it over with a stiff brush in some areas.
I have started the decal application, as you can clearly see. I am not overly happy that I went with the decals from the kit as they are thick and dont want to settle down into the recesses. I have applied several coats of Micro Sol to these and they just sit there. I have ordered a bottle of Solvaset and it should be here within the week. I'll give that a shot. If it destroys the decals, I can go with the markings of the other aircraft in the box. The only difference is the colorful markings on the tail boom and the Hinomaru's have the white edge instead of the green as I've used here.

As soon as I get finished with the decals, I will do some further weathering with Tamiya Weathering Powders and a very light panel line enhancement using an Ammo of Mig panel line fluid that is a light sand color. I have to dull-down those Hinomaru's as well!
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I have Solvaset among my tool box of decal setting stuff. Strong, very strong! Also great is the set from DACO in Belgium!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You may want to try slicing the decals along the recessed lines with a fresh Xacto blade. And of course you have the Solvaset nuclear option inbound. It's a rare decal that is not affected by that stuff.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

I didnt slice along the panel lines yet, but I did try to just poke a few small holes in those areas and then added the Micro Sol and nothing...
I am looking forward to wrapping this one up, its been a fun kit to work with.

Return to “Member Reviews”