1/48 Hobby Boss Sukhoi Su-17M4

mostrich
Admin

1/48 Hobby Boss Sukhoi Su-17M4

Post by mostrich »

The Sukhoi Su-17 is a Single engined fighter-bomber, developed and build in the former Soviet Union. Its variable-sweep wing design provides it with high maneuverability both in subsonic and supersonic flight. The export variant M4 (NATO designation Fitter K) was build from 1981 to 1988. It was designed for hig-speed low-level flight and can be seen as the direct opponent to the Panavia Tornado.

The Kit of the Sukhoi Su-17M4

Manufacturer: Hobby Boss

Product No: 81758

Released: May 2017

Price: from 55 to 70 Euro
s
Box Content: 17 sprues incl. clear parts, three rubber tires, one small PE-frame, one decal sheet, a manual and three separate colored pages of paint instructions

Everyone in the modeling world had stumbled across the Chinese manufacturer Hobby Boss in the past few years, no matter what your preferences in the hobby may be. No other manufacturer throws out so many new kits every single month like they do; but in the same time it's hard to make out a pattern. On one side they fill gaps with eagerly anticipated kits, on the other they pull out kits of exotic machines most of us never heard of before. Or they just drop a kit that's been released just a few months ago in the same scale by another manufacturer, like they recently did with the MiG-25. Same for the box we hold in hands; Kitty Hawk's edition hadn't had any time to collect dust on the retailers shelfs and there's already a competitor flying in. Without going to deep into a comparison between both kits, we just want to list some the most obvious differences:
  • KH offers the fuselage in segments (3 segments consisting of 2 parts each), HB follows the classic path by giving you two semi shells.
  • KH allows you to keep the outer wings movable after construction, in HB's kit there are two types of outer wings in fixed positions you can opt for.
  • KH gives you a complete Ljulka Al-21 engine with a lot of details that can be displayed seperately if you like. HB skips that, but provides you with a tow bar.
  • HB managed to depict the complex shaped intake splitter complete and dimensionally accurate; KH messed this part up.
New HB releases got criticized in the past mostly for the sloppy research and the resulting deviations. But in terms of engineering, fit, mould quality and surface details HB clearly upped their game in the past 2 years. By a first glance on the parts we can't make out any crass deviations, but this is something only the finished model will unfold.

What apparently pleases the eye and made us smile during tossing and turning the parts in our hands, is the crisp and sharp edged quality of the parts. No flash detectable and even the 32 cm long fuselage parts are free of sink marks. Chapeau, Hobby Boss!
A great example for the molding quality is the complex shaped pitot tube. Who needs brass or resin when he/she can pull something like this straight out of the box?
Pitot Tube

The surfaces are sufficiently covered with rivet lines, hatches and covers to keep the eyes busy. Molded-on details and cut-outs are sharp edged like the rest of the parts. Overall we'd say that those sprues can compete in the first/A/premier league of modeling.
[imagehttp://www.hobbypainter.de/wp-content/uploads/ ... 17-023.jpg[/image]

Ok. the rubber tires are a small letdown. Their assembly between the two rim halfes is a smart solution and eases the painting, but to give them a realistic weighted look is tough with that kind of material. No biggie, we know. Just sayin'...

The Sprues

Outer Wings - Straight

Outer Wings - Swept

Detail Shots

Clear Parts

The clear parts can convince with good transparency and a bubble free mold. Our wind shield seems to have some stress cracks along the sides. Bugger!

Wing and Centerline Loads

Six of the frames are crowded with all sorts of weapons and fuel tanks; they come in three pairs. Additionally you get a frame with the reconnaissance pod Kombinirovanny Konteiner Razvedy, short KKR. It's not mentioned in the manual, but it offers you the option to build a recce Su-17. And look, one of the box schemes actually is a M4R! Ok, we put up with this.

Recce Pod

Instructions / Decals

The instructions come as unsual with HB in landscape format and b&w printing. Illustrations are in 3D-style and mostly easy to follow, only the positioning of some smaller parts is a bit vague here and there.

With the painting instructions we arrive at the weak point of every HB kit. All we can say is don't trust it. Always check your references. We know they look nice, but once again: Don't believe the hype!

Depictable Planes

Su-17M4R, 886th ORAP - Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan 1998

Su-17M4, 20th GvAPIB - Templin (Groß Dölln) Air Base, Germany 1994

Conclusion

Who can get this kit for a reasonable price can't do anything wrong. It leaves its predecessors from KP/Kopro easily behind in every aspect and can also compete with its overpriced competitor from Kitty Hawk at eye level. The ovarall quality is good, though the very fine engraved surfaces are to be brushed in fine layers with suitable thinned paint. Those who want to squeeze the last drop of detail out of the kit can add a resin bang seat (K-36DM) and resin tires. This Hobby Boss release can be seen as one of their better ones and we think it's worth a recommendation.

Hamburg, Germany - May 2017
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss Sukhoi Su-17M4

Post by Stuart »

That looks to be a very nice kit indeed and certainly on a par with the J-29B and the IAR-80 I've picked up recently.

Thanks for the review - it'll be interesting to see how this stacks up sales wise against the KH kit.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is beautiful indeed. I like the addition of the tow bar, a great touch for displays. It certainly is an improvement over the KP kit.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jelliott523
Master Member

Post by jelliott523 »

I got mine in the mail last week, from what I see it looks pretty good. Not too sure about the rubber tires that Hobby Boss and Trumpeter use in some kits, but that is easily taken care of with resin AM parts. Looking forward to this one, once I finish the review and a few others.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh yeah, I want one. I am a bit disappointed on the lack of being able to swing the outer wings in and out. Such a shame really.
I am looking forward to the build and such.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Looks really nice! Great detail, and even the tow bar is included!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:hmm: From what I've read about the KH fuselage, this is a much better build option. I really don't like the tires or cockpit. But as has been said, aftermarket will fix that. Same with decal options.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Your photography is amazing, Torben! Really! You have such a great sense of color and scale. The lighting of sprues is phenomenal to me; and the clear canopy parts are hands down superb.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great review, great pictures and descriptions. All those little bits and pieces are why I don't much care for them jet thingys. I'm glad you guys do build them.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you, Bruce and Lyle. Glad you like it. The photo setup was provided by my buddy Norman. It's fun to do the pics and write the review, but boy, it's so time consuming!

Return to “Member Reviews”