Airfix New Tool 1/72 Me 262 - Hot off the moulds!

Stuart
Elite Member

Airfix New Tool 1/72 Me 262 - Hot off the moulds!

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,

:dancing:

Just got this hot off the moulds from Airfix - ordered on the day of release.

I don't normally succumb to new release mania, nor do I generally build Luftwaffe subjects, but I really fancied this one.

I did manage to get a few Sprue shots off (to follow) but the kit has already hit the bench, and here's where I am after 45 mins during my lunch break at work (one of the advantages of building models in my car at work is I reckon I've got this on the bench and on the net before most people - so stick this on Facebook Thomas!)

The fuselage halves are together with the internal bulkhead fitted, The bulkhead and ind spar are fitted to the wing, and the cockpit tub is assembled.

Wow this is a superb kit, one of the best I've built. The detail is wonderful, but not to the extent that it can't be built and painted nicely by a newbie with a hairy stick. The cockpit is easily the nicest I've seen from Airifx in 1/72 and the fit is superb (thus far).

I need to break out my RLM enamel paints!

Cheers & more comments to follow!

Well done Airfix - bloody good job!

ST
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Airfix New Tool 1/72 Me 262 - Hot off the moulds!

Post by Thomas_M »

portman wrote:...- so stick this on Facebook Thomas!) ...
Your wish be my command, Stu! :tongue:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, that looks like one sweet little kit! Very nice indeed!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Subscribed and shared amongst my Facebook crowd via Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler's Facebook page. I tend to be very cautious about sharing Luftwaffe planes without the protective shielding of the context of modeling, history, research and educational benefits. The focus must be shared by the other focuses.

What I am most excited about are any personal observations about the tooling, the type of plastic finish for example, and what the new ideas are for fitting parts in these new kits, Stuart, so if you would care to oblige our readers with your thoughts, please do.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok, I'm not on Facebook, but what is the deal about having to be cautious with sharing a build? Especially not one of your own. I realize that us modelers are seen as nerds or geeks for our pursuit to a certain extent. But then again, anybody who follows model building, knows that we don't build models for our personal beliefs regarding politics, but due to our fascination for the historical or some related aspects such as engineering.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Subscribed and shared amongst my Facebook crowd via Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler's Facebook page. I tend to be very cautious about sharing Luftwaffe planes without the protective shielding of the context of modeling, history, research and educational benefits. The focus must be shared by the other focuses.

What I am most excited about are any personal observations about the tooling, the type of plastic finish for example, and what the new ideas are for fitting parts in these new kits, Stuart, so if you would care to oblige our readers with your thoughts, please do.
Stikpusher wrote:Ok, I'm not on Facebook, but what is the deal about having to be cautious with sharing a build? Especially not one of your own. I realize that us modelers are seen as nerds or geeks for our pursuit to a certain extent. But then again, anybody who follows model building, knows that we don't build models for our personal beliefs regarding politics, but due to our fascination for the historical or some related aspects such as engineering.
So ok, just a note about Facebook - I don't actually mind if anyone shares any of my builds, I'm not on Facebook so it's not going to bother me at all, besides, I'm far far far past worrying about what other people think of me - However... in this case I was just actually asking Thomas to mention this build on the SPAM Facebook site because it's a review of an new tool kit, which should generate some interest in SPAM, and hopefully get some new blood through the door in regards to memebership. This was actually one of the reasons we started doing the reviews on SPAM in the first place IIRC.

That being said Bruce, I'm happy you thought it was worth sharing.

As for the review, well thanks for the comments. I do indeed have some proper Sprue shots etc, and I have some thoughts on the quality of the moulding, plastic etc. I need to download those off my DSLR and I'll get them posted up.

Not a lot of progress today - I just started with the basic painting. I used Humbrols new (ish) RLM enamels and Metalcote.

After all the agro I've had with acrylics recently, it was REALLY nice to get back into working with enamel - they realy are the best when it comes to brush painting.

Cheers for now!

ST

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

First off this build looks freakin' awesome so far and you're right about the amount of OOB detail in that cockpit Stuart! Wow!!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mustang1989 wrote:First off this build looks freakin' awesome so far and you're right about the amount of OOB detail in that cockpit Stuart! Wow!!
Yeah I agree Joe - It's going to look the business when done!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stunning work Stuart! Man, this is a tempting kit. If I didn't already have about three of these already built, I'd consider it.

Keep going Stuart, this rocks!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Stunning work Stuart! Man, this is a tempting kit. If I didn't already have about three of these already built, I'd consider it.

Keep going Stuart, this rocks!
But you don't have this kit.... :giggles:

:stirpot:

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”