Italeri 1/35 38t Hetzer review

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Re: Italeri 1/35 38t Hetzer review

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Mostrech,
I'm finished with the build itself but want it to place it on a snow base. As soon as I receive the snow order I'll work on that and officially close the build review but for now here is the completed kit. the track will be receiving some packed snow and snow wash so I didn't finish weathering them.
This was a nice low parts count kit and would recommend it for anyone who wants a simple kit of a Hetzer. My only complaint was the non-fitting track around the drive sprockets. The rubber band track went together well and the seam was easy to hide behind the skirts. I would recommend leaving the wheels off until after installing the track because there is no slack or sag.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Your finished build looks great. You really brought the details to life with your realistic weathering. Thanks again for the information on snow and ice effects, too!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow! That is one great kit. I love the weathering you’ve done to it. Well done!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks mighty nice. No snow in Kentucky today. About 75...on Nov 5th. Wow....That's about 23.8 for you weird ones. BTW, do you use the decimal?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Bruce, Black Sheep and Lyle,
I started the base using the technique I use for water bases. I started with hard Styrofoam, the kind you use for fake flower arrangements and added some trimmings to make the mound. I then added strips of paper using medium acrylic gel. Once the Krycell arrives I'll sprinkle it in the base to replicate about 1 to 2 feet of snow coverage, The Hetzer will be stationed behind the mound and have a dusting of snow from a flurry after they arrived. The tank will also have some of the Ice and Snow Wash product to replicate some old snow and ice accumulation.

Steve
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Really, superb finish! :shoutout:
The camo and the dirt on the running gear; my congratulations! Hard to believe this is the simple aging kit I did as a child! If you´d go and tell some one this was the Academy or Tamiya kit it would be so hard to see that it is not! Good work!!!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent work! What new parts did this boxing come with? I built the Testors boxing of this kit back in the late 80’s...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Thomas and Stick.
I received the Krycell and the wash. I liked the product very much although the Krycell bag was smaller that I imagined but had plenty to do the job and another 1 or 2 later. The wash goes on and appears like skim milk. I needed to some into a mixing bowl after shaking and continue to mix the liquid with a brush while applying it. After a few coats the results were very satisfactory.
Here is the final product. The Hetzer is against a small mound waiting in ambush through the night. A light morning snow has just fallen. I was thinking of adding a wisp of exhaust in the morning air but wasn't sure of the results.

I'm looking forward to my next review

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Stick,
I'm not sure which parts were replaced. I have never built this kit before, but according to Scalemates, parts were replaced in last years boxing. As far as I know just the decals are new in this version, which you can't see through the snow anyway LOL.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks for the info on the mysterious new parts. You did a mighty fine job on this. That scene sure looks cold...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”