1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Post by Stuart »

I don't think it such a bad looking kit, in fact by the standards of some of the kits I have built it actually looks pretty good. Mind you , that gun is awful and I'd go looking for an AM replacement if I could.

Great progress on this one Mark - I love the A-10 but I've never built one - I really need to sort that out.

:popcorn:

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stuart, I highly recommend building an A-10. As for this build, I didn't go for an aftermarket so that I can show other builders what this looks like just from the kit. That gives other prospective builders of this kit the option and idea to replace said gun. Otherwise, yes, this is a good kit despite some of the issues. It does have some excellent detail and is quite simple to put together.

Now I just have to get it done.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

speedgraflex wrote:I remember reading this a little while back, thinking about how the parts did not fit—and I felt what Thomas wrote about the gun tooling, which looks like a Fantasia on a Theme of What Makes A Warthog A Warthog! After reading what Carlos wrote I was course corrected and wanted to thank you for the integrity of your build review. I have often wondered if a model reviewer has ever faced a kit so bad it was basically impossible to build. Does this kit qualify?
As usual Bruce is way better to express what I thought about your way doing this review.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you Thomas. I'm thrilled to know that I'm doing it right. Now to just do it faster.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Naaa! Take your time. It´s a hobby.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Duke Maddog wrote:No, this kit is not unbuildable by comparison. It does need a bit more tender loving care.
I'm kind of wowed at the fact that so much extra work would be needed on a Hasegawa kit as pricey as some of them are. You're doing very well with this one the TLC department in any case Mark.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mustang1989 wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:No, this kit is not unbuildable by comparison. It does need a bit more tender loving care.
I'm kind of wowed at the fact that so much extra work would be needed on a Hasegawa kit as pricey as some of them are. You're doing very well with this one the TLC department in any case Mark.
That's what kind of puts me off Hasegawa, sometimes they require just as work as an Airfix kit but at three times the price!!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Not to mention the same basic kit being released over and over in a new box, with new decals, and a higher price tag than the last release. And,,, THEY NO LONGER INCLUDE A FULL LOAD OF ORDNANCE!!! You have to buy one of their weapons sets if you want it armed as usually seen in action.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thomas thanks! It is a review kit though so I should finish it fairly soon. I still have the Tomcats to finish for review as well, and then I need to start the Japanese carrier I got for review.

Joe, I agree; I always equated Hasegawa kits with good fit (Except their Phantoms!) and excellent detail. This seems to have the detail at least. Thank you ever so much for the compliment.

Stuart, you're right. That is why I like reviews, both reading and doing them. They certainly help determine where my modeling budget (such as it is!) will be spent. Doing them helps me show others what to expect so they can decide where to spend their money as well.

Carlos, agreed! That is a real kick in the teeth for us modelers requiring an additional purchase just to properly finish an aircraft. Fortunately, this kit provides all kinds of ordinance to put on this.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

It's a great review you're doing Duke - It's great to know all of the warts!

I agree Stik, It's really annoying that you have to buy those weapon sets :ballbat:

Return to “Member Reviews”