1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. For me, this kit would need a lot of work. That cockpit is in dire need of some photoetch and the gun needs to be replaced. I wouldn't personally get this kit as the price would be way to high for that level of detail.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! I appreciate that.

Thanks Medic. This is why I'm doing this review, so you can make an informed decision like you just did.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Now that I managed to get this properly painted and glossed, I got all the stencils applied to the A-10:

Later I clearcoated this again to seal the stencils in and then applied the rest of the markings:

Again, as with the Tomcats, these were strong, yet thin decals that laid down well and did not curl, fold or break. The instructions gave clear indicators as to where everything went, allowing one to place them properly. So far, I have found that none silvered.

Now all is left is dullcoating this, pulling the mask, adding the landing gear and ordinance, painting all the little details and it will be finished.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome. Stay tuned for more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

This one looks a few steps away from wrapping up. Nice!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

What a gloss! This now looks way better than the first pictures!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos. With luck, I'll have this standing on her three feet in no time.

Thanks Thomas! I do have to dull that down and will probably shoot some dull soon. By the way, this is the gloss I use on this:

Usually one or two coats is all it takes. So far, it is the best I've used.

This is the white primer I've used on some of my other models:

The Boeing 737 has had this sprayed on it before I shot white.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'm loving that Mark - it looks superb!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! Now to bring this home....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I tried to bring this over the finish line today. I didn't quite make it but I came close. Here's the progress I made on this so far.

First off, I shot a dullcoat over this model:

After that dried, I removed the masking from the canopy:

There were a few areas I needed to touch up, which I did later on.

After getting the canopy removed, it was time to install the landing gear and gear doors:

There was a lot of touch up needed here too since I forgot to paint the exterior of the doors. Oh well, I got them after I installed them here.

Once they were sufficiently dry, I added all the ordinance that I could fit in place. I still have one pylon I need to figure out what to mount on but otherwise this bird is loaded for bear:

You can see I also added the wheels to this. Now all I have to do is some more touch-ups on the weapons themselves.

This is by no means the final pic, but it gives you an idea of how this bird will look. I still have a lot of touch-ups to do before I can call it finished:

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Very nice Mark!

Speaking of A-10’s, a couple of Warthog drivers were just awarded the DFC for actions in combat...

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... artillery/

BTW, those are from the same Wing that my son is assigned.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”