1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 scale Hasegawa A-10C Thunderbolt II Review Build

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is awesome Carlos! Thanks for those great stories. It sure made my day reading them. Gotta love the Warthog!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You bet Mark. It’s nice to see that some flyers still know how to do CLOSE air support when the chips are down for the guys on the ground.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I thought I had posted the finished model here back when I completed it, but it appears I was mistaken and negligent in getting this done.

Here are the final pics of the 1/72 scale A-10 Thunderbolt II I completed form Hasegawa. Overall it is an excellent kit with great detail. There is plenty of room for other to detail it out further with aftermarket parts as well. i built this one out of the box warts and all, so anyone can see the issues they would have to deal with.

One issue is the amount of flash seen on the parts. It is easy to clean off, and is not as extensive as some other kits I've seen, but one would think a good company like Hasegawa would be more attentive to their molds.

There were a lot of fit issues as well. I recommend extensive test fitting to insure a good fit for most parts; especially ones that have difficult access to the seams for a sanding implement. For example; the area between the engine nacelles.

The canopy could have fit better as well. Many people might want to pose the canopy open to avoid showing the issues with the canopy.

The decals were thin and in register and went on very well. I had very few issues with any silvering and what did silver was easily fixed with a decal solvent.

I commend Hasegawa for including the ordinance in this model This allows a modeler to load out this plane with max hurt without the additional 'hurt' to the wallet for aftermarket weapons.

I'd rate this kit as an 8 out of 10 for ease of assembly and painting. decaling was a challenge when it came to the smallest of stencils, but overall went on well.

Thanks to Lyle for providing the sample. I appreciate you all looking in and your comments and support.

Now for the pics of the finished model:

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

WOW! Beautiful! ‘Nuff said!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Bruce! I am very happy with it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Awesome build!! It really looks good. At least Hasegawa got the gun length right. The Revell A-10, the gun sticks out WAY too far.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Medic. One thing about the gun on this model: it had some kind of angled end which made this very difficult to glue in place. I had to shave it a bit to make it so it would point in the right direction. Otherwise, the barrel as molded would either point too far upwards or too far downwards; not to mention too far to the sides, depending on how you glued it. After some careful shaving and sanding, I finally got it to glue in the correct position.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sorry I missed this Duke - WOW what a great finish. Thank you for your frank review of this kit. I might well get one.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice finish and a great succinct review summation. Concise and clear, as it should be. Not to mention truly honest.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! I'm glad you eventually got to see this. I hope it was worth it. I do recommend getting one of these; they are good kits overall.

Thanks Carlos. I figure it is best to let everyone know just what they are getting into. Besides, Any reviewer that fudges details and such won't have too many followers after awhile. I believe in doing it right as much as possible.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member Reviews”