Studio Scale 1:24 X-Wing

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
speedgraflex

Studio Scale 1:24 X-Wing

Post by speedgraflex »

The Origin of the CC X-Wing or the “Captain Cardboard” X-Wing

Grant McCune’s arm is in the above photo. After ILM finished Star Wars, pieces of some of the models were floating around; some of those made it “off reservation” at Apogee, which is where John Dykstra and others set up shop afterwards. Grant McCune was there for awhile; Joe Johnston as well, so were others from ILM. The pieces were a little bit like trophies, and usually represented cast offs, seconds or pyro parts of which many multiples were cast. The wings of the CC X-Wing were cast from pieces Grant McCune had, the fuselage was hand carved from jutelong wood by Scott Alexander, whose nickname is “Captain Cardboard,” or “CC.” Scott, who worked on “King Kong” and “Titanic,” is retired now, but still has molds for the X-Wing. I contacted him about making me one. Each year it gets a little harder to find a garage kit maker with clear lineage to the original trilogy, so I knew it was time to get cracking before someone else passes, sadly. Also finding the original kits used by ILM is an expensive challenge. I was hopeful, but I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much. I have purchased kits from Scott before. Timing is one issue; health is another; expense is the final part of the issues affecting a successful sale. All three have to be in the green.

A New Hope

Scott gave me the okay on Thursday. I remain cautiously optimistic at the moment. I ordered two gallons of “Quickcast” resin on Thursday. Shipping should be by truck to Scott on Tuesday. At that point, he will need two to three days to cast up the parts. This is a bit of a gamble but I respect Scott and believe he will be able to pull clean castings from his molds (remember these are old). Two gallons of resin is way more than is needed, but this will give Scott some leeway when he casts. Just in case.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Re: Studio Scale 1:24 X-Wing

Post by LyleW »

That is an awesome story and hook up!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

LyleW wrote:That is an awesome story and hook up!
Yes! This is also a big model at 1:24, but this will be the first time using new paints specifically formulated for ILM colors. I will be posting links and information about the paints as well. I’m going to need a work space, too.

Red 1 Reference

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce!!!! :yipee: You’re going to get a studio scale X-Wing off of original molds? Oh damn… :hmm: Not many things make me envious, but this will certainly be one, you lucky dog! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, bud. Hope I do this justice. Here’s a comparison:

The bottom (or above) image is the molded interior of the wing from the original.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I can’t wait to see this one!

And great to see you here again!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, bud. Fingers and toes crossed things go well next week! Yes, it’s nice to be back here!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Damn....... she’s gonna be a big one! :wow: :wow: :wow:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yessir!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That is a pretty cool story right there. Sure hope it works out for you (and us) :popcorn:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.

Return to “Future Builds”