Watchmaking and model builders

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Dragline
Advanced Member

Watchmaking and model builders

Post by Dragline »

I am a watch collector and have been for a few decades. I have amassed a collection of some 20 odd timepieces in this time. There were more of course, but over time I have whittled my collection down to the watches that please me most.

Here is my observation. Model builders are generally attracted to watches. I've noticed this over the years as I've been to countless contests and vendor meets. It seems the older guys [myself now included] always had a watch on. I understand how today's younger people are. Watches are status and not for timekeeping. It's a flex to have a Rolex or Omega on your wrist. But I'm talking about a little more in depth when it comes to owning a watch. Having that little known or rarer type of brand that might be vintage or handed down through a couple of generations.

I'm also talking about watch repair. I myself am a amateur watchmaker. I have fixed a few over the years and invested more than a little money on the tools to repair them. But we as modelers generally have a lot of the tools already. There are very specific tools to be sure, but for general inspection and small fixes most of us here have the tools and patience to at least attempt fixing a mechanical watch. At the very least we have the tools to change a battery on a Quartz movement.

So it begs the question. How many here enjoy watches, and if you do is watchmaking something you find interesting. There are a plethora of watchmaking channels on Youtube. Everything from reviews to full restorations are available for viewing and education. Has anyone here watched a video and thought "I could do that." If you think you could the short answer is you probably can.

Working with small parts and being accurate is what we do as model builders. The parallels are undeniable to watch making.

Just a few thoughts on it...
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Watchmaking and model builders

Post by keavdog »

I have 4 or 5 watches. I feel naked if I'm not wearing one but they all died during covid. I need to do the battery swaps. One of my favorite books is Longitude. It's the story of John Harrison, an English clock maker. Great story with some crazy stuff mixed in. From Amazon:
Anyone alive in the eighteenth century would have known that "the longitude problem" was the thorniest scientific dilemma of the day-and had been for centuries. Lacking the ability to measure their longitude, sailors throughout the great ages of exploration had been literally lost at sea as soon as they lost sight of land. Thousands of lives and the increasing fortunes of nations hung on a resolution. One man, John Harrison, in complete opposition to the scientific community, dared to imagine a mechanical solution-a clock that would keep precise time at sea, something no clock had ever been able to do on land.

Longitude is the dramatic human story of an epic scientific quest and of Harrison's forty-year obsession with building his perfect timekeeper, known today as the chronometer. Full of heroism and chicanery, it is also a fascinating brief history of astronomy, navigation, and clockmaking, and opens a new window on our world.
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ve never noticed the link between modelers and watches, but then again I wasn’t looking at modelers at events. That being said, I do like watches. I always have since I was a kid. As a kid I needed watches that could withstand, besides a normal teenage boys abuse, ones that stand up to surf, with its corrosive salt water, and water pressure from snorkeling and scuba diving. I went thru a few. Later in my military and law enforcement careers, I needed watches that could withstand the abuse of those fields. I went thru many more watches. I much prefer an analog to a digital, and I love a true chronometer type. Currently, living the retired life of a man of leisure, I wear an Apple Watch, not because I wanted one, but because it was gifted to me by my middle daughter. I like some of its features, but 2/3 have no use for me, and I am frequently annoyed over several of its’ traits. When it dies, I won’t get a new one. Instead, I’ll look for some old school pilots chronometer watch.
As for the part of collecting or repairing watches? I already do simple jewelry repairs for my daughters on occasion. I suppose I might enjoy doing the same with watches, but my model hobby has enough to keep me busy for the rest of my days. Not to mention other activities that I do such as cycling and shooting.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I learned of Harrison on Youtube some years back. He was a pioneer of watch movements and timekeeping. If I had a link I would provide one here. That book is something i need to read. I have quite a few watchmaking books [mostly on working on them], but a few about history and who came before whom and all that.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Watches, or "wartches" as my mother would say..., are a must. I don't have more than a couple, usually one added to replace one. I think it is a combination of what we grew up on and then need - as I, too, prefer the old style analog watch. Flying, i carried a cheap digital kitchen timer that was attached by velcro to my knee board. For general timing purposes...how much longer, etc., I like the visual representation of hands on a dial face. It is a much more graphic representation than numbers counting up or down.

I never got into the idea of repairing such devices, although, I've been a little devil in taking things apart most of my life. Oddly, they usually do not work as well when I'm done. :bag:

I wear a watch when we go out, but not around the house anymore. When we come in, it is taken off and put on a buffet along with keys, wallet, gun and glasses. My current watch is an old school Timex with a white face and black numbers. I can see that.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I have my grandfather’s gold pocketwatch I’ve been meaning to get fixed. The cover hinges snapped off. I know it’s an antique but don’t know if I should bring it to a reputable jeweler that specializes in repairing these types of watches.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Interesting stuff!

As a matter of fact, I do also like watches and have a number of them. However, none of them being extra special, but still watches I do like.
I even found a few years ago my childhood and my early teener year wrist watches. My absolutely first watch I got, was when I was 5 or 6 years old, I guess my big sister gave it to me, was a Timex (a girly model though :giggles: )

What I am aware of, the only thing that is left over of this Timex watch is is this picture taken back in 1974.
Quite clear to be seen in the picture that I'm pretty proud of it and showing it off! :-D

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

I have a old pocket watch that was my grandfather's grandfather's. It's probably 200 years old nearly.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

For years I couldn't wear a watch. Batteries would last a few days and die. I actually mentioned it to my doctor. He said some people just have a different electric field about them that does that. :hmm: I kept buying watches and have them die. Finally I found one that didn't. Lasted about 20 years but finally could no longer get wristbands for it. Now I'm back to using my phone as my watch
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I haven't worn watches for years, the airplanes always had digital timers which are important for instrument flying. I've always been involved in maintenance and watches and rings are a good way to short yourself out when reaching into places you can't see like the back of an instrument panel or around batteries and alternators. I did work on a couple of clocks, though, one of those anniversary clocks and a german pendulum clock, which may still be in my basement.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Free Discussion”