Glamdring's Secret Santa build

Glamdring
Advanced Member

Re: Glamdring's Secret Santa build

Post by Glamdring »

Duke Maddog wrote:I'd say from the earlier photos Things went more than reasonably well. Your initial work was spectacular!

As for the pin wash; I recommend coating this first with a clear coat that doesn't react to the underlying paint or the planned pin wash. As for now, well, you could just re-paint over the whole thing using the previous technique and move on from there.
Usually with these Vallejo washes I don't seal the model beforehand, because I actually think they work better on a matte surface. These two Tamiya paints have a different texture than usual, just a bit more grippy, for lack of a better term. Oh well, live and learn.

I made a stab at the two figures, I am not terribly happy with them, but painting figures in this scale are not my strong suit. They are there more or less to give it some life anyway. And I dare say JGSDF camo is impossible in 1/35!

Never mind their oddly shaped heads with paint slathered over, it is covered by their unattached and unpictured helmets.

I just need to give a light drybrush on the faces so they don't look like they were rolling in an ash pile.

Here is the AFV with them in place, with the salvaged camo job. Went old school with multiple drybrushing layers to get rid of the most egregious blotches.

All that remains is decals, tool installation, and the wheels in the background.

Hopefully I can call it done sometime next week!
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, those new camo patterns are a real beyach to pull off in 1/35. Give me old fashion solid color uniforms any day… :whistle:

The vehicle is looking good!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Excellent recovery Robert! Yeah, those uniforms are difficult, but imagine having to do them in 1/72 scale! :whiteflag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Secret Santa 2021”