Saab J29 Tunnan, Austrian Airforce, Matchbox, 1/72

Post your completed aircraft here.
Bolleken
Master Member

Re: Saab J29 Tunnan, Austrian Airforce, Matchbox, 1/72

Post by Bolleken »

KSaarni wrote:
Bolleken wrote:Thank you all for your kind words. If my step by step description is useful to anyone I would be really happy.

BTW if anyone of you is going to go to KMC Scaleworld on Sunday in Mol you can see the Tunnan in reality.
Oh Marius, would have been fantastic to meet in Mol the coming Sunday, but I’m not home in Belgium currently, but on vacation in Finland. You will not come to Plastic & Steel in Affligem in few weeks time? The IPMS Belgium National convention of this year

- Kari
Kari, would have been great to meet you in Mol. Unfortunately I won't participate on any more model exhibitions this year. Thought about Telford, but impossible to manage for me.
Hope you had fun in Finland.

Greetings
Marius
Bolleken
Master Member

Re: Saab J29 Tunnan, Austrian Airforce, Matchbox, 1/72

Post by Bolleken »

speedgraflex wrote:Marius!

I love that you build from Matchbox kits. I remember wanting to build one so badly, staring at the rows of boxes lined up inside the hobby store! I was a wee lad obsessed with the way the aircraft box art was so adeptly handled. But enough about me, because who cares about a remembrance? I am here to sing praises, if you can handle my Old English. Your work is masterful.

One of the hardest issues we face is deciding what is the focus of our scale work: here your attention to finish details is the focus. I’m always amazed by your abilities within construction and scratchbuilding, but here it is the play of light off surface that is most impressive of all. When done properly, as it is here, the aircraft is not a shiny object but an assemblage of metal pieces. In a way, since I am thinking of Beowulf, of the bright armor worn by the Danes.

The specificity of the colors attenuates the design and the decade. Additionally there is a properly judged amount of wear and tear, not too much, nay, just enough to show the object is man made and serviced well.

As I see this side by side with another I think of the oft-told fairy tale of a sleeping army of knights within a mountain, ready to come to the aid of those in need.

I too would like to read a step by step guide to creating this finish!

Bravo, amigo!
Yes I can handle your old English and I like what you have written . When I started building aircraft models in 1981 or so, Matchbox kits were available everywhere. Loved the boxarts of the original boxes.
The requested step by step guide is stored in this thread. Take a look, if you have any questions you know how to reach me.
Currently I am working on a MiG-15, not sure to use this technique again.
Thanks for the words you wrote!

Return to “Completed Builds”