Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Now Open for 2022!

Post by tempestjohnny »

Mark if it helps any. The Chinese call it the FC-1. The Pakistani call it the JF-17 Thunder
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Interesting… :hmm: apparently it is a joint Chinese-Pakistani project, and sales have been made to some third world countries beyond Pakistan.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

tempestjohnny wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:47 am Mark if it helps any. The Chinese call it the FC-1. The Pakistani call it the JF-17 Thunder
That explains why I kept getting it confused! Thanks!

Carlos, I wonder what other countries received these. I might want to build more for countries which received these that are represented in my collection.

Stay tuned, another tour is coming soon!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

And now for another tour of Maddog Manufacturing. This will be a bit of a short one so I hope you enjoy the tour.

Starting in the Hangar first as always....

First we decided to try out the MCW(?) paints, the ones formulated from the old Testor's Model Master recipe. I had some dark green to shoot on my models and this was a good time to try it out. It was already thinned for airbrushing which was great. What wasn't great was the coverage. It was too thin, showing too much bare plastic. The humidity that night caused it to also splatter I believe. Here is the result on the Horten Ho-229, after the canopy was masked:

The results are disappointing, but I will try again if I can get ahold of other colors. The same paint was used on the Leopard 2A7, with better results but that will be seen in the Motor Pool section of the tour.

Meanwhile, further preparation for paint went on. The Pakistani FJ-17 (Ha! Got one right for once!) had the canopy masked off for paint; right after the Horten was masked:

Finally, I wanted simple and easy project so we got started on the Airfix British Sea King that was found in my sale pile. You can't have too many British helicopters so we went to work on the interior. This one's for you Stuart!

That completes the short tour of the Hangar. Next is the Motor Pool...

Here in the Motor Pool, the Pakwagen got a clear gloss coat and decals on it. Good old Roden! They made these tiny crosses in two part decals! You can also see where we fixed the bite marks somewhat:

Since the Pakwagen got a clear gloss and decals, we did the same for the Geschutzwagen. We had to 'wing it' with the decals, using spares from the spares stash because the original decal sheet went missing. Once it was found, the schematic showing where they were supposed to go disappeared. So this is what we did:

If I find the schematic later, we'll complete the decals on this...

As mentioned before, the Leopard got a coat of the MCW paint. While better than the Horten, it still did not cover this in a satisfactory manner. I also feel the color is off too:

That completes the tour of the Motor Pool, now we move on to the Shipyards where work continued on the Italian battleship.

Here in Slip Three the Vittorio Venetto got the decks painted. The main decks and superstructure decks got intermediate blue and the rear deck was painted wood:

The superstructure was then painted the light ghost grey called for and a seam on the forward part of the superstructure was filled and sanded smooth. Additional details were than painted afterward:

Photo etch was applied to the stacks as well as to the rear deck of the ship. I only shot pics of our work on the stacks:

While that was all drying, we completed the painting on the main and large secondary turrets:

While the turrets were drying, the hull was painted light ghost grey. Once that dried, the upper part was masked and the the boot stripe was painted. That was then masked after it dried and Tamiya Hull Red was shot over the bottom:

Once that dried, we completed the painting of the screws and shafts:

And that concludes this week's tour of Maddog Manufacturing. I hope you had a good tour, comments are welcome always and thanks for looking in!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool builds Mark! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice collection, Mark. I like that Italian battleship. Is that 1/700 scale?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Ya know.....this paint just might work out Mark.

I know in this instance; it wasn't ideal BUT....with some pre-shading and a nice warble pattern underneath it and on the right aircraft.......I think it would let enough under tones through to make for a nicely weathered paint job.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Markus Buildus the Great! Wowser. You are running overtime on this batch. Nice looking collection of work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thank you guys! What fantastic responses!

Thank you Mike!

Thank you Blacksheep! Yes, the battleship is 1/700 scale.

Thank you Joe! You know I already started sanding the blobs down, but now that you mention it; I might be able to get a worn look on this. I will certainly give it a try. Thank you for the idea!

Thank you Lyle! Yeah, I'm working overtime indeed! Trying to get caught up after that combat experience with the B-24!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Fabulous work all around and thanks for the Seaking, one of my favourite Helicopters :wub:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Member's Gallery”