Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Trumpeter P-47D Razorback "Eileen"

Post by tempestjohnny »

Medicman71 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm Wow! Just wow! :bow:
:P1:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

tempestjohnny wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm
Medicman71 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm Wow! Just wow! :bow:
:P1:

:P1: :P1:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Alright... where were we? Neutral Grey on the bottom finished? Check. Time to paint the OD on the top? Ok, let's get this done.

I want to avoid a uniform finish for the OD. I'd like to show some variation and have some vague ideas on how to accomplish that but I'm really uncertain on how it will turn out. Hence the procrastination. Idea number one was to have the paint covering the invasion stripes a different shade. So first I paint the base Olive Drab 41, which is the AK Real Color shade, straight from the bottle. This will cover the front fuselage and the wings except the area where the invasion stripes were. I'm using a 50:50 thinner ratio, which allows me to gradually build up the color and tune the pre-shade effect to the desired level.

The second idea was to show certain areas of the OD faded. To simplify matters, I used the same lightened shade of OD for both the invasion stripe covering and the fading. This lighter shade was applied to the top of the rear fuselage, parts of the vertical tail, all of the horizontal stabilizers and the invasion stripe area on the upper wings. I broke up the lighter areas by highlighting some panel lines with the straight OD.

After I finished the OD on the main aircraft, I attached the masked cowling so that I could match the wavy demarcation line.

Ok... it looks a bit weird right now but I think I'm on the right track. There are some large areas of high contrast markings to come that will mask and de-emphasize much of this weirdness so keep that in mind.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

The eye goes straight to those checkers!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

They do right? That's what I think is going to happen when I apply the stars and bars and the rest of the markings on the rear fuselage.

I forgot to show the pics of the bottom...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Absolute eye candy
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank you Johnny! Appreciate the comment! The next update will be the polar opposite of eye candy!

I've decided to apply the stars and bars to the upper port wing and fuselage sides. These will be painted using custom cut masks scanned from the Barracuda decal sheet.

The first mistake was applying the wing mask upside down. After the blue was sprayed, I couldn't get the inner star mask to fit properly. After awhile, I realized that the stars and bars are not exactly symmetrical along the horizontal axis. I had no choice but to start over. So I sanded down the edges of the blue layer and oversprayed the star with Neutral Grey. Since the new star will be placed almost exactly over the old star location, I didn't bother with any preshading and just sprayed the OD over the Grey.

The other mistake surfaced after spraying the white on the fuselage stars and bars.

How horrible is this result?

Very ugly and really no way of salvaging it. Since my plan was to place a mask over the stars and bars in order to complete the fuselage invasion stripes, I knew that the paint lift issue was going to be ongoing. So I'm going to have to address this on a more global scale. Using the tackiest tape I have, I started aggressively ripping off paint, trying to get all of the unstable paint layers removed.

There is really nothing else to blame except myself. I thought I had protected myself from this issue by carefully wiping all surfaces with Windex prior to painting and not handling the model afterwards with my bare hands. I normally do not apply primer as a base coat but I'm going to have to re-think this for future builds. Live and learn!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Damn that sucks!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Ugh. Depressing!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ouch! Just curious, but what paint are you using? Terrible that it had such poor adhesive and bonding properties! :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”