Skyraider Curse or Trouble with Tamiya?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
cbaltrin
Master Member

Skyraider Curse or Trouble with Tamiya?

Post by cbaltrin »

First off, let me state that I always wash my kits before painting...

So this is very interesting... Been using Tamiya paints since they arrived on the market and never have had an issue. Lately the paint has failed me on two different kits. Very oddly, they are both Skyraiders and both colors are a light grey. The picture here is a Hasegawa 1/72 Skyraider and the paint is a custom mix of Tamiya XF acrylics. There is some serious adhesion issues going on. First the area in question started cracking like a dry lake bed, then paint started chipping off. That was several months ago. Fast forward to this month. I shot some Tamiya lacquer paint (LP) Insignia white on my Monogram A-1H I am building for the Monogram Mafia GB. A week later it starts cracking in a few areas and flaking off... What the flip? This is very discouraging and very unmotivating when you can no longer trust your paint. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I may need to prime from now on.. I can't get over the fact that both issues came on Skyraiders :hmm: , with relatively the same shade of paint :hmm: , but one is Acrylic Tamiya and the other is Lacquer :hmm: ...

No sense in showing the Monogram kit as I already brushed over the affected areas with Tamiya White Surfacer.. .but here with what the Hasegawa kit looks like...
Big Joe: 'You just keep those Tigers busy and we'll take care of the rest.'
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

My Stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... 53&p=stash
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: Skyraider Curse or Trouble with Tamiya?

Post by jeaton01 »

Ugh. My sympathies, never had that happen with Tamiya paint. What thinner are you using, and was it the same in both cases?
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

I don't remember what thinner I used on the Hasegawa kit John, with the the latter LP paint, Mr Color leveling thinner... Definitely not leveling thinner with the hasegawa kit...
Oddball: 'The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me...'

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow. I can imagine that this would be most discouraging. Once is a fluke, but twice? I had recently heard about airbrushing in temps that are too cool causing a cracking problem with acrylics, but the adhesion issue is something else.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That does seem strange. Kill a chcken and sprinkle the blood on the kits. Then fry the chicken. May not help, but dinner will be good.

I certainly do not have the experience with paints that you guys do, but I've not seen this. I use Tamiya a lot and never have I seen this. I just sprayed rattle can Tamiya Insignia white over bottle TAmiya Dark Sea Gray and had no problems.

Was it the same bottles of paint? I have had issues with Tamiya Acrylics and the Mr. Levelng Thinner a couple of times.

I'm sorry for the problems.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I never, ever wash my sprues before painting. There's only one thing I'm suspect is the cause - detergent used to wash your sprues. Some detergents leave subtle residual greasiness behind. The other reason I don't wash my sprues it's too much work and a waste of time. Basically an overkill so to speak.

I have never had issues using Tamiya paint as you've described.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
cbaltrin
Master Member

Post by cbaltrin »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:49 am I never, ever wash my sprues before painting. There's only one thing I'm suspect is the cause - detergent used to wash your sprues.
I don't wash sprues either :tease:
...but I do wash the model to remove grease,dust,and static...

Your point about detergent residue may be worth looking into. Might have to do a little experiment...

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

For science of course. :giggles:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I don't wash sprues either and use Tamiya alot. I've never had an issue like this. There has to be some kind of contaminant thats preventing the paint from adhering.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

tempestjohnny wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:49 am I don't wash sprues either and use Tamiya alot. I've never had an issue like this. There has to be some kind of contaminant thats preventing the paint from adhering.
That would be my thought as well. Skin oils or sweat on your hands would be my first suspected cause.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”