Stuart's Builds - Tornado Finished - almost.

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Builds - Tornado Started

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:05 pm Looks good Stuart… both the model and the reading material. Hope that you enjoy the book.
The bit's I've flicked through so far have been quite interesting. I can certainly see how Team Yankee used this as the framework - I might have to read the two one after the other.

I've just put a coat of primer on the Tornado - the nose still needs a bit of work, which always seems to be the case with Tornados. :bored:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

So I had a bit of a think last night about this build - I wasn't happy with the way it was going, it certainly wasn't going to be my best work. So I've hit the nose and other seams again with various grades of wet and dry sandpaper, and done some more filling. I'll then have to do some rescribing of the missing detail.

Here's were I am now.

I've also ordered a resin set containing the missing nose pod and some RAFG decals - Having had my interest renewed in these old Cold War novels, I'm going to do a proper combat aircraft.

I watched this 80's recruitment video earlier, back in the days when we had an airforce - it's pretty good - the bit with the computers is funny, my how far technology has come!

https://youtu.be/rHjU0sdHRV8

Cheers!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice film there Stuart. Quite a bit of security procedures on the airfield there. Very interesting in all those details. :hmm:

Good stuff on your build too! Looks like a Tornado now.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart, I feel ya about thinking and rethinking particularly where an older model is concerned. That’s the right way to build—and I know when we follow a project by someone else it is a bit different than when we wade in and start chopping—but you’re doing the kit justice, and making it come to life.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:33 am Nice film there Stuart. Quite a bit of security procedures on the airfield there. Very interesting in all those details. :hmm:

Good stuff on your build too! Looks like a Tornado now.
Thanks Carlos. I found it a very interesting video too - I did like all the scenes showing the work that went into firing up and programming the onboard computers - man that was :quotes: HI-TECH :quotes: back in the day!

The scene with the USAFE F-5 aggressors was fun too, although I'm not sure it would have been quite that easy for the Tornado to shoot one down.
speedgraflex wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:03 pm Stuart, I feel ya about thinking and rethinking particularly where an older model is concerned. That’s the right way to build—and I know when we follow a project by someone else it is a bit different than when we wade in and start chopping—but you’re doing the kit justice, and making it come to life.
Thanks Bruce - I just felt like I needed to put a bit more effort into it.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

One of the things I like about this model is that I've been able to keep the wings swinging. However it's occurred to me that if I attach the pylons I'm not going to be able to keep it like that, because like all swing-wing aircraft models the pylons are fixed in place - which completely defeats the point of having a working set swing-wings in the first place!

It's always been a bug-bear of mine, and I've been thinking about a way around it - and I had an idea earlier. I'm going to try to use magnets to attach the pylons, rather than glue them in. That way I should be able to reposition them if I move the wings. I'm not sure if they're powerful enough, but it's worth a shot.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Interesting idea. Hopefully it works for you.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’ll definitely want to see how this works out. I have a few Tornadoes and F-111s in my stash to apply your lessons to.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents!

The real question I guess is whether or not the magnets will hold the weight of the pylons and ordinance - the ones I have are pretty powerful so fingers crossed.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stuart wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 pm One of the things I like about this model is that I've been able to keep the wings swinging. However it's occurred to me that if I attach the pylons I'm not going to be able to keep it like that, because like all swing-wing aircraft models the pylons are fixed in place - which completely defeats the point of having a working set swing-wings in the first place!

Yes, you will. The pylons have little tabs you simply "snap" into the holes. Look at the last two steps in your instruction guide.
Save your money on magnets....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “W.I.P. Monogram Mafia”