Pricey models

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Pricey models

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah the prices of kits that I want is just stupid. I just can't justify paying that much for a kit.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

If it the old '77 Monogram B-52 kit, I'd love to have that kit again. Ya'll are a bunch of hoarders :lol: ....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Those 1/350 scale Trumpeter ship kits are priced for stupid money.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

I have had their special edition M4A3 with the two resin figures and D9R bulldozer in my cart since Friday evening, because yeah, $160+ is a lot to spend on two kits. I think I will wish list them until the next sale and hope they are still in stock.
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:23 am If it the old '77 Monogram B-52 kit, I'd love to have that kit again. Ya'll are a bunch of hoarders :lol: ....
If you mean the one with jet noise, no, I don't think I have any of those, they are all 5709, 85-5709, or 85-5716 which is the X-15 carrier. No 1968 issue which was the first.

Sorry, John, my grandkids won't allow me any adoptions.

And I won't flood the market should I sell any, only one at a time. As if I ever sell anything anymore.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, most new releases, at least those from Asia, are priced out of reach for me. Unless I can find them on sale, or being sold off secondhand for much lower than MSRP, I pretty much just keep on stepping. On the other hand, the new releases do tend to lead to some guys selling off their older kits of the same subjects for bargain prices, so I watch for those to pop up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Yeah I agree with you all - I don't like spending much over £25 - £30 for a kit either. One of the advantages I suppose of mainly building in 1/72 is that amount goes a fair way. Not always though, even some 1/72 can get massively expensive - those Fine moulds F-4's though - WOW! £40-00's a lot for an F-4. It's one of the reasons I do like new tooled Airfix these days - not the best kits maybe, but probably the best value for money, same goes with Academy and Hobbyboss.

Anything more than that and I tend to ask for it as a present - that's how I managed to get a Tamiya F-14, P-38 and Kittyhawk SU-17 - well out of my price range normally.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

jeaton01 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:14 pm
BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:23 am If it the old '77 Monogram B-52 kit, I'd love to have that kit again. Ya'll are a bunch of hoarders :lol: ....
If you mean the one with jet noise, no, I don't think I have any of those, they are all 5709, 85-5709, or 85-5716 which is the X-15 carrier. No 1968 issue which was the first.

Sorry, John, my grandkids won't allow me any adoptions.

And I won't flood the market should I sell any, only one at a time. As if I ever sell anything anymore.
No, not the ones with the jet noise. Never knew they existed. Put me on the list for one of them when you're ready to sell one. LOL!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, I had to pass on a few models I wanted because my birthday and Christmas money didn't stretch far enough. However, somewhere in my stash I have the B-52 with the engine noise. It was actually given to me by someone who just didn't want it anymore.

It is one of three that I have; not counting the two hanging on my ceiling...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Modeling Discussion”