Academy OIF M2A2 WIP

Stikpusher

Academy OIF M2A2 WIP

Post by Stikpusher »

So here we go, construction has begun! I had some folks over on Armorama point out to me some corrections needing to be made so here we go.

As usual with most armor kits, this one started with the suspension and running gear. I have not yet closed up the motorization holes, but that is easy to do at this point. All the road wheels, the sprockets, and idler wheels are all removable due to their poly caps. I just put ‘em all on for this photo.

Using Vodnik’s site as reference, I started dealing with the biggest goof on this kit in my eyes, the shape of the rear hull plate and cut off the box like side portions of that part.

A bit of sanding and other trim work on the upper hull and I had the area looking much more accurate. And again following Vodnik’s guidance, I scratched up the rear spaced armor plates that go on that area.

More to come in a few days….
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Academy OIF M2A2 WIP

Post by Medicman71 »

Nice start Stik! Can't wait to see more.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I'm sure the research on armor can be just as painstaking as on aircraft.

Good start Stik
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Medicman71 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:32 pm Nice start Stik! Can't wait to see more.
I’ll get back on it this week. More progress photos after that. :bored:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

tempestjohnny wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:52 am I'm sure the research on armor can be just as painstaking as on aircraft.

Good start Stik
Thanks. The research is plain out in the open. I’m just a bit surprised that Tamiya and Academy both jacked up the rear plate accuracy so badly.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Making a great start Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. I’m aiming for more progress by the end of the weekend… just haven’t been feeling much urge for benchtime lately.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

After being repeatedly sidelined for the past year, I have gotten this one going again. I followed Vodnik’s mods on the rear plate area, adding the spaced armor plates behind the stowage bins, and the angled spacers behind those onto the hull

Next I added some pipes (bilge pump drains?) onto each side of the ramp using some brass tubing

Lastly I glued the troop ramp into place

I’ve also been adding some of the small bits onto the upper hull

More to come in a few days…

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great looking mods Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. I’m really enjoying the kit so far, but am a bit disappointed in its shortcomings as well.

So here are a few more shots of what I had accomplished last week with the upper hull and ramp area

I also started filling in the motorization holes in the lower hull

And then yesterday, we had an IPMS Build & BS session where I started working on the turret. I cut up the mantlet to the proper fixed sides configuration that the A2 has

More progress to come in a few days…

FLSM

Return to “Operation Iraqi Freedom GB”