1/48 Academy F-86 F Sabre (51st FIW)

Post your completed aircraft here.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/48 Academy F-86 F Sabre (51st FIW)

Post by lawdog114 »

I decided to un-moth ball one of my only jet builds for a photo shoot. It's the 1/48 Academy F-86 F in the markings of Capt. Joe McConnell of the 51st FIW Korea 1953. McConnell was the highest scoring Sabre ace with 16 MIG kills and 5 damaged. They even made a movie about him which I have yet to see..

I built this kit several years ago and don't recall many issues. I remember the seam inside the intake was impossible to remove so I used the red plug to hide it. I noticed I had some sloppy seam work in a few spots, so my quality control manager must have been on coffee break for this one.... :shoot: If I recall correctly, it was my first attempt at Alclad. This build was where I fell in love with the product and haven't looked back for a NMF. It got a Legends seat and True Details wheels. I think I used an Eduard PE instrument panel too. I taped off and painted the tail checkers and wing stripes (which was where I discovered the durability of Alclad). I remember building up the back area behind the cockpit with a sheet styrene using a reference photo because the kit was lacking here. The pilot figure came with the kit. Its also one of my first figure paint jobs.

I'm going to have another crack at the Sabre soon. It's one of the only jets I truly love. I may have a go at the Hasegawa version this time.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome...
Joe
Last edited by lawdog114 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1/48 Academy F-86 F Sabre (51st FIW)

Post by LyleW »

Makes me want to break out the one I have, a Hasegawa. The F-86 is a classic in the same manner the DC-3 is, to me. They are beautiful.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Indeed Lyle... I like the F-8 Crusader and the A-10 too. The only other jet, besides these, that I would consider building is an F-14. I even have an A version in the stash..maybe someday...

I did build the Revell A-6 Intruder on commission once for a guy who worked on them back in the day..

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

LyleW wrote:Makes me want to break out the one I have, a Hasegawa. The F-86 is a classic in the same manner the DC-3 is, to me. They are beautiful.
:stupid: ....( :kissing: )

Excellent build my man!!!
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

ver nice!
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Thanks very much..

Return to “Completed Builds”