Simple Cement Test

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
LyleW
Admin

Re: Simple Cement Test

Post by LyleW »

I have the Tamiya Extra Thin, Tenax 7R, some Acetone and the stuff I grew up sniffing.....Testor's red tube. I tend to go the tube first.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I use Tamiya Extra Thin and Zap-A-Gap super glue.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks for conducting this very informative test! If bond strength is our main criteria, many of us Tamiya Extra Thin users may need to re-consider.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The Mr S Cement line is innovative. There are UV activated versions and “dry” versions available at Volks USA. Highly recommend the dynamic duo I use.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice comparisons. I bought this new liquid glue some time back called Plastic Magic 10 second Cement by Deluxe. It's actually a bit stronger than Tamiya liquid glue.

Here's the glue I'm talking about:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-DXM-AD83-Pl ... ement.html

I do recall mentioning how much I love this stuff during one of my builds some time back.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Simple Cement Test 2023 edition

Post by KSaarni »

I have lately read on a few modeling forums, that the Tamiya Airbrush cleaner ("the bottle with the pink cap") is (99%) same stuff as Tamiyas Extra Thin cement.

Inspired by the recent discussions regarding Mr Cement S, I thought, what a heck, let's make the same test as I did a few years back. I added in the test also AK's Quick Cement Extra Thin. ( Which is, at least based on the looks, a 100% copy of Tamiyas bottle, even the extendable brush attached to cap is identical. Only the color of the cap differs and perhaps the cement itself )

The approach was exactly the same as before, to glue two sprue pieces with a flattened end

So here are the test objects, curing for one hour, which should be enough.

:clockwatch:

One hour later..

Time to test how good the bond is...

Tamiya Airbrush cleaner... bends... bends... bends... and then SNAP, the bond gave up with quite loud sound.
But I'm impressed, as I was very sceptical to this fact. (apologies for the unsharp picture)

What about AK ?

Same process... bends, bends and slowly the bond gives up. Not as SNAP, but slowly breaks

CONCLUSION

Yes, one can use Tamiya Airbrush cleaner as cement, when needed. However, it smells horribly and seems it dries quite slowly. I made some other testings and noticed indeed that the cementing goes very slowly.

Will I throw away my TET bottles and go over to use the airbrush cleaner instead ? No I wont. Will I use ever the cleaner as cement ? Probably I might in situations where a very slow drying process is needed.

So, now we know it.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:giggles: I just posted about the airbrush cleaner on the other thread about glues.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Slow drying? 🤔 Might work good for styrene indy link tracks…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”