Testors Lockheed F-104A Starfighter

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Testors Lockheed F-104A Starfighter

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, here's another of my models that has somehow been forgotten by me. I thought I had shown it here before now but I guess I haven't. It's an earlier build (back in the very early 1990s) and only photographed fairly recently at the Cameron Airport, the Testors 1/48 F-104A Starfighter is a very basic, simple old model. Originally, it was a Hawk release from 1957. I love these birds and really, how can one go wrong with a type named "Starfighter"? Is that not just the coolest name ever for a jet? And what other jet fighter looked any more ready to go to the stars than this "missile with a man in it"? ?

The rudimentary landing gear was given some much-needed detail and I used the pilot figure to add a bit of interest to an otherwise bare cockpit. The horizontal stabilizer and brake doors were covered with Baremetal foil. I scratched out the sensor fairing on the rear underside. The kit decals were used (and are showing their age now too :wink: ). Several different NMF paints were used but it's been so long since I built the model I really don't remember what they were; shouda kept "build notes" back then!

So, here's another look at scale models from the really distant past. A quick comparison of this kit with today's great new offerings reveals how far plastic scale model kits have come. With all the amazing models available today, it's sort of difficult to imagine what the "state of the art" for plastic scale modeling was in 1957.

Thanks for your interest in this old warbird! :grin:

LyleW
Admin

Re: Testors Lockheed F-104A Starfighter

Post by LyleW »

That is real purty! Man, that looks good. Do you still have access to the airport?That adds so much to the pictures. You need to do one in SEA schemee.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary, I built a few of those Hawk & Testors F-104s back in the day, so yes, its amazing to see how far model kit technology has come since they were "state of the art" in 1957. :wow: You did a fine job on the machine. :shoutout: And of course, your airfield photography sure helps to make it look even better! But yes, you might want to have a look at some of the newer F-104 kits for an even better looking build.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Still looks great, Gary. The Hawk kits were always fun, I'm sure I built the Hawk F-104 when it was pretty new but don't remember doing it, like many others. And if I didn't I still can because there are two in the stash!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

One of my all time favorite movies!!!

Nice work on the Starfighter!! Especially when you consider the kit that was used.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice work Gary. Love that one and have the 1/48 Hasegawa kit in the stash.
Thanks,
John
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:24 am That is real purty! Man, that looks good. Do you still have access to the airport?That adds so much to the pictures. You need to do one in SEA schemee.
Thanks Lyle! Yeah, I guess I can still use the airport for pics, just haven't had the need in a while. :wink:
Stikpusher wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:45 am Gary, I built a few of those Hawk & Testors F-104s back in the day, so yes, its amazing to see how far model kit technology has come since they were "state of the art" in 1957. :wow: You did a fine job on the machine. :shoutout: And of course, your airfield photography sure helps to make it look even better! But yes, you might want to have a look at some of the newer F-104 kits for an even better looking build.
Thanks Carlos! Much appreciated. :bow:
jeaton01 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:26 am Still looks great, Gary. The Hawk kits were always fun, I'm sure I built the Hawk F-104 when it was pretty new but don't remember doing it, like many others. And if I didn't I still can because there are two in the stash!
Thanks John! You should give those old kits some love and build up one or two of them! :grin:
Medicman71 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:50 pm
Stikpusher wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:03 am Image

One of my all time favorite movies!!!

Nice work on the Starfighter!! Especially when you consider the kit that was used.
Thanks Mike! Yes sir, that's sure enough an "oldie" of a kit, but still looks like a zipper! :grin:
keavdog wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:08 pm Nice work Gary. Love that one and have the 1/48 Hasegawa kit in the stash.
Thanks John! I appreciate that! :bow:
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Gary I missed this one. This is just great. The mold is 13 years older then me :tease: your photography makes it look like it real
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Well, thanks so much youngster. :lol: Seriously, what nice comments Johnny! :bow: Thanks brother! :grin:

Return to “Completed Builds”