What’s the meaning of color codes?

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

What’s the meaning of color codes?

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I know RLM and RAL are linked to the Luftwaffe, and I know WW2 Russian have their own codes for colors. Federal Standard color codes I’m well familiar with.
However…. I am curious on certain WW2 Allied colordesignation with M and/or ANA codes; what’s the purpose of them and why they have certain numbers after a color name? Some examples:

M-485 Light Grey

Olive Drab ANA 612

Olive Drab No9/No22

Olive Drab No31

I know some military blue greys and other greys have sort of letter/number designation in front or the end of the color name. I have a few with ANA 612 and a couple with M-485 / M-495, etc…
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: What’s the meaning of color codes?

Post by jeaton01 »

They are from an older system. AN is Army Navy, M I don't know.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

My thought and assumed ANA would be Army Navy Air Force (?)

M for Marines (?)
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

ANA was from 1943 when colors between the Army and Navy were standardized for mass production, as well as Lend lease. M series colors were pre war/early war USN aircraft colors. ANA lated into the 1950's, when it was replaced by the Federal Standard system, which has been revised at least three times. FS 595. FS 595A, B, & C.
Olive Drab No.9/22 were two different systems. No.9 was from the Army Engineer colors used on ground vehicles, while shade 22 was from the pre war Quartermaster system used on aircraft. Confused yet? OD QM.22 was replaced by Olive Drab 41 from the pre war/early war AAC/AAF colors system. Take a look at Dana Bell's Air Force Colors series of books for a complete rundown on the systems.
Remember, as much as they hate to admit it, the Marines are part of the Navy Department, and fall under them for most administrative matters, such as paints.

Don't forget the British BSC color standards for use on UK built aircraft. And of course their army had a different numbering system just like the US Army Engineer system, SCC colors.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Woohoo Standards - welcome to my day job!!!! :headbang: :bang:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:41 pm
jeaton01 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:04 pm They are from an older system. AN is Army Navy, M I don't know.
My thought and assumed ANA would be Army Navy Air Force (?)

M for Marines (?)
Yes. We have standards".unless we don’t.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Standards? :hmm:

Here? :headslap:

:tease: :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You brcha! I just make sure they are low enough to keep them.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”