A freshly hatched Viper from Moebius.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Re: A freshly hatched Viper from Moebius.

Post by Eagle-1 »

Thank you sir! Next should be some paint. This is where something is bound to happen.

Rob.
Right on the edge... so don't push.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey Rob,

I know of you from the Studio Scale section of the old RPF. Is Monsieur Tox still persona non grata? I follow him on FB these days. I think. Anyhoo, your attention to detail is legendary and I am happy you are here amongst us kit bashing this somewhat unloveable duckling of kit into something quite extraordinary. I guess I should thank Old Blacksheep Tom for being a bit of a pied piper? What did he write that brought you on over here?

Let’s see: I have a couple of questions. Since I like process how are you gluing all these thingamabobs and thingamabits in place? CA? Second question is aesthetics: are you going to showcase heavy weathering and battle damage I am seeing on those two initial views of the Viper, because hell yes that would be cool. Also we do this interview deal here. Ten questions, some photos. Care to partake? There’s no right or wrong answer to any of these questions.

Write… if the mood strikes.

Bruce
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 am Hey Rob,
Hello Mr. Bruce! Glad to meet you!

Are you is the one who they kept telling me was coming to see the Galactica I posted in the other thread? If so, glad you got here!

speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 am I know of you from the Studio Scale section of the old RPF. Is Monsieur Tox still persona non grata? I follow him on FB these days. I think. Anyhoo, your attention to detail is legendary and I am happy you are here amongst us kit bashing this somewhat unloveable duckling of kit into something quite extraordinary. I guess I should thank Old Blacksheep Tom for being a bit of a pied piper? What did he write that brought you on over here?
No sir, Monsieur Tox doesn't show up in the members anymore (I just went and checked), but doing what I mostly do, he and I spoke many times. He's missed, but didn't he leave of his own accord after a little spat?

Yes sir, I'm Eagle-1 on every forum I can and have been since Starship Modeler started up and Yahoo Groups was a thing, so even though I ain't been here long, I have been around for quite some time. Eagle-1 on RPF for sure, was it these you saw me working on?

As the moniker suggests, Space:1999 is a favorite of mine. Well, the hardware anyhow.

Why I came along...

Well, "Old Blacksheep" lied. Ok, y'all don't get mad with me here, but, I say he lied and maybe he just squeezed the truth? What he really did was post on Scale Model Addict to check this place out and join him here, that it had far more posts and replies than Scale Model Addict did and then he started making a trail with Reece's Pieces. I SWEAR, I didn't know it was a PLANE model site and I have apologized for that already, so don't make me start cryin' again.
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 amLet’s see: I have a couple of questions. Since I like process how are you gluing all these thingamabobs and thingamabits in place? CA? Second question is aesthetics: are you going to showcase heavy weathering and battle damage I am seeing on those two initial views of the Viper, because hell yes that would be cool. Also we do this interview deal here. Ten questions, some photos. Care to partake? There’s no right or wrong answer to any of these questions.

Write… if the mood strikes.

Bruce
Ask me whatever you want! That's why we all gather here, right?

I use just about every glue you can think of, but with styrene, I generally use TAMIYA Air Brush Cleaner. In other words, "TAMIYA Extra Thin Cement" at a fraction of the cost with identical ingredients. I've been thinkin' on the finish of this one as well. On the actual show, there were several clean AND weathered, but with your vote for "Dirty", the tally now stands at...

One for dirty, so it's in the lead.
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 amAlso we do this interview deal here. Ten questions, some photos. Care to partake? There’s no right or wrong answer to any of these questions.
Absolutely! Nobody may not have given the wrong answers yet, but I been studyin' and there will most certainly be more "wrong" than "write"!

Rob.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great answers, Rob. Those were the subjects, for sure. I also thought you might have heavily participated in a Hobby Talk thread about the Moonbus from 2001, but I am not too sure about my facts from a decade ago.

I don’t think of SPAM as planes. Many of the members here build Star Wars and Star Trek subjects and real space as well. I consider myself more or less a spaceship builder who wants to learn how to build an airplane kit one day. There is plenty of crossover as well so I would definitely not worry too much about a lack of response. Truly. I will send you the list of questions as a private message. Once I have your answers, I will need a few photos of work (no more than five) with any descriptions you want to add. Then I’ll publish everything both here and on our Facebook page.

I actually have even more questions I want to ask you about building the smaller of the two Eagle kits. I think the Round 2 version is the one to get, but I have never built any Eagles so maybe you have thoughts about a point of entry. If you do, let me know.

I want to thank you most sincerely for being part of the forum and posting in such detail. I truly appreciate your work and hope you stay awhile.

The photos of the subjects you posted are quite stunning and I don’t mean to give your work short shrift. I hold your abilities in high regard!

Re: your current project / the lil’ Viper

I think the DNA of this kit is more Flapjack then Freddy Flameout, but I definitely feel that the scars of service will elevate the aesthetics a bunch!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

ROFL… the famous FlapJack kit…. The one kit I wished I had done as a kid. Still want one too. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 am ROFL… the famous FlapJack kit…. The one kit I wished I had done as a kid. Still want one too. :giggles:
THERE HE IS!!! The one that turned on the flashing light and said it was a "Blue Light Special". I thought this was K-Mart and moseyed on in.

It certainly was a trap.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I ain’t that hard to find…. :tease: :whistle: :giggles:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm I ain’t that hard to find…. :tease: :whistle: :giggles:
Good, cause when this goes horribly wrong...

Somebody's gonna need to drive to the hospital.

Rob.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That’s what 9-1-1 is for. LOLZ!

Eagle-1
Advanced Member

Post by Eagle-1 »

speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pm Great answers, Rob. Those were the subjects, for sure. I also thought you might have heavily participated in a Hobby Talk thread about the Moonbus from 2001, but I am not too sure about my facts from a decade ago.
An Eagle-1 at Hobbytalk IS me for sure, and it is certainly possible I dropped in on a Moonbus thread cause that dangling carrot woulda piqued an interest. I don't remember joining in much on one though. Haven't dropped in over there for awhile either, so good thing I checked "Remember Me" on that login.
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pm
I don’t think of SPAM as planes. Many of the members here build Star Wars and Star Trek subjects and real space as well. I consider myself more or less a spaceship builder who wants to learn how to build an airplane kit one day. There is plenty of crossover as well so I would definitely not worry too much about a lack of response. Truly. I will send you the list of questions as a private message. Once I have your answers, I will need a few photos of work (no more than five) with any descriptions you want to add. Then I’ll publish everything both here and on our Facebook page.
Personally, I didn't know that it even had a theme until someone pointed out what SPAM stood for! In my defense, I did ask if it was ok that I don't even know what a plane is and to kick me if needed and was told, "just sit still, don't touch anything and we'll see how it goes".

I'm not really a space fella that wants to learn how to build anything else either. I've got many, many planes, however, and have no problem digging through them to find a part I need for a studio model build. I say I've got many planes, but what I have are several half planes or planes that have been completely ruined by stealing one part from it to use somewhere else. Same thing with my whole pile. Only one or two have ever been picked up with any intention of building it. Most kits I own are strictly fodder. Doomed. Scheduled for demolition.

I made a guy on eBay so mad he said he wanted to come visit me and take back what he sold me. In 1999/2000-ish, when eBay was still only a money order thing, I needed a kit. Those Laser Tanks use the running gear, rear vents, tracks and several other pieces from a 1/25th TAMIYA British Chieftan tank kit. At that time, the only ones you could get were all rare, vintage and collector's items. After he shipped it to me, he sent me an e-mail asking me to PLEASE send him a picture of it when I built it because he had it stored in his closet since new in the late 60's but never built it because he wanted to make sure he had the skills and confidence to do it justice and didn't want to do anything to screw it up. I didn't realize how he would take it, but I told him that as soon as I got it, I was going to take a dremel tool and cut the rear decks off of it to use on those Laser Tanks. Y'all...

That fella got mad.

Sent me cuss words I had to look up in that next e-mail. Harsh. Vile. What he would do if he could meet me. Said things that gave me nightmares for days! REALLY upset me, so I sent him a picture of the deck cut off a few days later with my address. I was younger then. I wouldn't do something like that today, I've mellowed. I would wait probably a couple weeks now.

Mr. Bruce, I have received your PM and will peruse the material shortly. Now, before I get too deep, I can't read, so there may be discrepancies.
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pmI actually have even more questions I want to ask you about building the smaller of the two Eagle kits. I think the Round 2 version is the one to get, but I have never built any Eagles so maybe you have thoughts about a point of entry. If you do, let me know.

I actually have even more questions I want to ask you about building the smaller of the two Eagle kits. I think the Round 2 version is the one to get, but I have never built any Eagles so maybe you have thoughts about a point of entry. If you do, let me know.
Yes sir, you can't go wrong with the Round 2 Eagle, that's a fact. I assume the 14" kit is the one you mean? Get the bigger 22" one. You won't spend very much more and have an Eagle to impress your friends. After you explain to them what it is and that "No, it ain't from Star Trek". You'll be able to say you have joined the "Studio Scale" club if you do. It'll be a tough sell, but I'll get you past the bouncer. If anybody asks, you're with me. Just sit still, don't touch anything and we'll see how it goes.

There actually was an Eagle in 22"'s in the series. Every Eagle on the show had different detailing and the 14" Eagle from Round 2 is identical to the 22" Eagle from Round 2. Even so, the detailing on both Round 2 kits were made to match the first of 3 44" Eagles made for the series during it's run and neither the Round 2 14" or 22" have true "screen accurate" details for the 22" studio model and there never was a 14" Eagle for filming. If I can't talk you into the 22" however, you won't go wrong with the smaller one. After all... Size doesn't matter.

Ask me anything you or anyone else would like! The more the merrier I say. I actually don't like questions and I hate answering them. Typing isn't my strong suit and I'll piss and moan to myself the whole time, but I'll answer!
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pmI want to thank you most sincerely for being part of the forum and posting in such detail. I truly appreciate your work and hope you stay awhile.

The photos of the subjects you posted are quite stunning and I don’t mean to give your work short shrift. I hold your abilities in high regard!

Re: your current project / the lil’ Viper
Yes sir, you're absolutely welcome and I'm glad to be here. My tail hasn't stopped wagging since I got here. Just close your eyes when you look at what I post and it can be an airplane! My wife has closed her eyes and imagined it wasn't me for over 40 years now so I know that works. How do you know how long my "short shrift" is? Who said somethin'?
speedgraflex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:08 pmI think the DNA of this kit is more Flapjack then Freddy Flameout, but I definitely feel that the scars of service will elevate the aesthetics a bunch!

See, that right there PROVES you really want to be a studio modeler. That kit is one that was used in both Star Wars AND Battlestar Galactica at least. For long, you'll have 100's of model kits just for one part too!

Rob.
Last edited by Eagle-1 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”